Putting 2000 back on the road...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

MtnGoat
Roadster Newby

Putting 2000 back on the road...

Post by MtnGoat »

Hi folks,
got a 67.5 fake 2000 (previous owner swap) in OK condition I'm getting back on the road after a 3 year hiatus. My brain is so saturated with other crap I'm annoyed to have to remember all the tricks I used to know without even thinking about them!

A couple things...where are people getting lap belts? I need to ditch the originals, they're even worse than the questionable at best they were when they were only 48 years old...

Got her started up, the antifreeze was still at the cap just like when I parked her, so that's good. Oil looks fine. I put 5 gallons of no ethanol super in the tank. Oil still in the dampers on the carbs...

Timing seems solid, the marks do not move when observed with the dial back timing light....but....

the reason I parked her initially remains. Idles fine and low RPM OK, but when I rev her it just kind of goes 'flat'. Won't wrap out to max, just bumps up to about 3500 and stays, with a spit and pop now and then. I haven't checked the timing at this speed to see if the advance is working properly...

If I recall I was having this issue on the road...all of a sudden I'd have like half power and this very loud wheezing or whistling sound, like gas under pressure would occur. Then if I parked it, or even on it's own, it would go away..and back to normal till the next time. That day, an hour later, or days later, seemingly at random of course. Ideas?

Thanks in advance guys, it's fun to have time to get back under the hood
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Putting 2000 back on the road...

Post by notoptoy »

I would change the condenser, and run the car in the dark, look for arcing a the spark plugs, distributor cap and coil.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
MtnGoat
Roadster Newby

Post by MtnGoat »

That's a great idea, I'd forgotten all about that trick! thanks
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Do check the advance... car simply won't go without it. I have a megajolt system that will run the car at 8 degrees advance if it fails, a limp home mode. Believe me, you will only limp home if the timing is not advancing. Also, as noted, replace the condensor.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
MtnGoat
Roadster Newby

Post by MtnGoat »

Thanks for the tips. It turns out the additional adjustment set screw had loosened up and the timing was slipping which ever direction it felt like, when it felt like it. Haven't had the issue since with about a month on the road.

Just had the fan belt fail, picked up a gates 7340 which was listed on a wiki here...dammit too short! like waaay too short! Goes around crank pulley and water pump...with almost nothing left over. #!!!! I wanted to drive today!!

Now I guess I'm down to the string method to measure the size and a trip into town. :(
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

MtnGoat wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:41 pmNow I guess I'm down to the string method to measure the size
tried, tested and true!
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?