What is this thing?

Here you can post pictures of those unidentified parts so others in the know can help.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

What is this thing?

Post by zetec311 »

likely a good question for PO..
but i’d try the board instead if anybody knows:

its a long polymer cylinder black with a spoked cap on it. material seems like glass filled similar to outdoor gardening drains or housings. bigger than a coffee can, maybe twic as tall.

im hoping it hydrolics so i can do “front-back n some side-to-side” gotz to keep it realz :)

I will do a closer inspection soon as i wasnt dressed to crawl underneath that day. it wasnt easy to flip the car over for inspection. thanks ahead of time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raylim
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What is this thing?

Post by raylim »

The part number is for a vapor canister.
Neat that this is for a Chrysler product.
Love the Flowmaster muffler too!
Arcadia, ca
1967.5 -2000 ratrod - in progress
1970 1600 -restored
1969 2000 - SR20 -in progress
1967.5 2000 (clone) - restored
1963 Fairlady - in paint
1988 BMW M3
datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun1500 »

Seeing as I am the PO, it’s a great place to ask. It’s a vapor canister. That car was built with all of the emissions stuff in place. The guy you bought it from will not know the answers as he bought it from a flipper that bought it at an insurance auction.....

That being said I have no idea if the emissions are still there as it’s been though 4 owners since me.
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

raylim wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm The part number is for a vapor canister.
Neat that this is for a Chrysler product.
Love the Flowmaster muffler too!
I have a flow master copy if anyone wants it, barely used. You pay shipping. I just don't want to throw it away, but I don't want it.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

oh, hi again!

thanks for the reply.
Looks like no low-rider action for me.. lol.

im not sure what a vacuum canister is.. im gonna check it out soon. my guess is it holds extra vacuum for auxilliary devices when the engine is off? googling the seriel number was a good idea.

as far as whats left of the emissions equipment.. no more egr, pvc is vented to a catch can now. cat and o2 sensor is still there.
looks like the fuel rail was converted to a return system and the fuel pressure sensor isnt there (i think, not sure)

oh, looks like your choice in parts to upgrade the engine were very nice. the cfm tb really opens up the throttle. i havent peeked at the exhaust manifold yet. its wrapped like a christmas present.

what are your thoughts on ITBs?
i know its just expensive eye candy. Seems like the way to go with these motors. Although the thought of running an aftermarket ecu scares me. otherwise its just gonna be one of those tuner boxes that plug into the obd port.
zetec311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by zetec311 »

..vapor canister..

not vacuum canister. cars are much more complex
datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun1500 »

The manifold is wrapped so it doesn’t burn a hole in the hood. Even wrapped, the paint gets soft after a few miles ;)
I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......