NFIBMT Travel Log - LONG!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Victor_laury

NFIBMT Travel Log - LONG!

Post by Victor_laury »

Sorry for taking so long to write this up. Actually I tried Sunday, and wrote a couple of paragraphs, and then suddenly hit the wrong key and it all disappeared!

So, last week I completed my goal to participate in the 8th annual No Frills Iron Bottom Motoring Tour (NFIBMT). I had first heard of this event from Les Cannaday, several years ago. He told me at that time, "Vic, you should go. It's just what you like." Well, I kept missing out. After all, It's 3 days and 1,000 miles long, and takes 2 days vacation, which is the hardest part for me. But seeing the photos of the past years events, just made me burn to go.

This year, I made my mind up early and reserved my room and planned my vacation days, months ahead. Last Wednesday night, I met the organizer, Ed (he calls himself the "Disorganizer") at the kick-off dinner at a Pasadena BBQ. I also got to see a preview of some of the cars that would be on the run. A couple of 356 coupes, a giant Caddie convertible, two Citroen SM's (one a wagon), an ultra rare Lambo Muria, a brace of 911's, a spattering of 914’s, two Alfas and 4 Z cars. When they saw my SR, they talked swimmingly about Eric H's V8 roadster performance last year.

The First Day-

Bright and early Thursday morn I arrived with three dozen donuts for my car crazy fellows. Eric H's unfair "Ford-i-fied" roadster and Cary C's 68 black SR was there as well. Ed on the bullhorn gave the drivers meeting. I was awed when he announced the passing of two previous participants over the last year. He said, "These guys were true car nuts. A moment of silence would not suit their spirits. Instead, when you start your car, rev it up to a roar to salute our good friends."

The first route brought us up the Angeles Crest, past the storm induced snow line. The road was icy, but the crowd was so slow, I thought I might have made an error joining this group. But on the way down to Palmdale, the slower traffic made way for some of the more "Sports car" minded, and it started to suit me well. It got better. After Palmdale, we made our way down Bouquet Canyon Road.

My homeboy roadsterites know this road well and so do I, a moderate speed twisty road, taken in third mostly with some forth gear stretches. I was delighted in finding myself in good company. Leading the pack were two Triumph TR2's, piloted by very good drivers, who attacked the road with reckless abandon. Once again, they proved skill and balls outweigh power. The rest of the pack included a 914-6, me, a turbocharged Miata and Eric H's V8 roadster. I found that the Miata and I were not only likes in the power range but also in driving mentality (degenerate as it may be) and we ended up sticking pretty much together for most of the event.

When we reached the 5 Frwy, we then headed west on the 126 to Santa Paula, up the very storm damaged hwy 150 to Ojai. We left Ojai on the 33 north. This road has always been one of my favorites, just in sheer beauty. It did not disappoint this year as well. The rock faces dripping with moss, pierced with tunnels and sweeping corners with vistas overlooking the San Joaquin Valley. There were moments that I was going slow enough to enjoy the scenery, just not many.

We arrived in Taft about 1:00, drivers hungry and cars thirsty. Ollie's on 33 diner is a Faux 50's theme restaurant, but of good quality and friendly atmosphere. I would suggest it for a future turnaround for roadster events. We made quite a fitting scene, taking over the parking lot with cars of interest. My patty melt hit the spot and so did the gas pump. I jumped out early to have Hwy 58 to myself. I'm glad I did, as it was a very good road to have a roadster spiritual quest upon. Smooth and varied from pasture to rolling hills, to twists, all rolled up into one.

Reviews of Ollie’s on 33 diner
http://www.newtobakersfield.com/home/vi ... post=11852

When I got to the intersection of Huer Huero Road (“h-you-r where-o� what a tongue twister), the planned diversion loop, I was confronted by a ROAD CLOSED DUE TO FLOODING, in yellow and black. I paused to water a tree and a local rolled up to meet her kid’s school bus. I asked her about the road, and she said, “If I made it, you should too.� “The water level has come down a little since yesterday.� “But be careful, the Porsche Club always has one or two cars spin-out into Mr. Johnston’s pasture� – OH I just GOT To do this ROAD!

I waited a little longer for some of the others to catch up. When we took off again, I was leading my Turbo Miata friend and Eric H. We got up to about 85MPH when we came on the first water crossing. After a little debate, I just dove in, sending up a rooster tail worthy of a WRC competitor, most, landing back on my head. Just like the log flume ride at an amusement park, with out the queue. Let me tell you, this is a great test to see if all your floor plugs are installed. I found out I was missing one in the driver’s side floor well in short order. The five water crossings did not dampen our spirits though, The Miata and I took several dashes above 100 MPH, when we weren’t braking hard for tight corners or misplaced rivers.

This entire area is sports car heaven. I’d love to move there, but I’d become the neighborhood menace, and most likely have a torches and pitchfork party (ala Dr. Frankenstein) thrown in my honor. Eric H led a 911, me and the Miata up Camp 8 road, a well-paved single track, that curves so much you’d better have yourself and anything else strapped down. Especially if you plan to travel at “Socially irresponsible� speed. We arrived at Paso Robles, tired, elated and ready for the “Bar Car�, an Olds Vista Cruiser wagon that serves Margaritas.

Day Two –

We left Paso Robles in a fog. Our goal was a picnic lunch in Hollister Vehicle Park, east of Gilroy, first stop, Coalinga, to buy our sandwiches. After negotiating a mostly dirt, cow filled road, the fog lifted and we found ourselves on a rough single track, winding along the ridges of rolling hills (Vinyard Canyon, Indian Valley and Peach Tree roads). I was in very good company again, with an orange 72 240Z leading the way. The Z driver was the right man for the job, as we threw the cars through tightness at some times 90MPH. The only issue I had with him as he had no brake lights. Not a biggie, as you read the aspect of the car more than his signals. The stiff NISMO rear springs gave me a work out, as some of the braking and corners were taken with the rear skittering over the tops of bumps. I took it easier on the Rt 198 east to Coalinga and remembered being on it 17 years ago in a Honda Civic. Priest Valley looks like a nice place to live, if not a bit remote (very).

We left Coalinga on Los Gatos Road and for it’s thirty mile stretch, it twisted through the mountains. Some of the sections were extremely tight and almost unpaved. I error’ed a right hander and almost plowed into the hillside – Understeer from an early apex bauble. Overall the Miata driver and I tore the road a new one. Thankfully there was not a soul on this road but us. God Loves Fools and Sports Car Drivers! I’m blessed on both counts!

After lunch at the park, watching dirt bikes climb impossible inclines, we made our way to the coast and down to Seaside (Monterey area), where it began to rain. Down Carmel Valley Road by myself, slowly, as there was traffic, businesses and homes along it’s north end. It got much more exciting near the end where the traffic cleared and I was in the twisties (wet twisties) again.

On the G14 South, to return to Paso Robles I attempted to chase an EXPERTLY driven Alfa 2000 Berlina Sedan. Dam they were skillful and just plain fast! I was just happy to keep them in sight. The Bar Car was a very welcome sight as was an aspirin bottle and bed

Day Three -

We back-tracked for the first time as we traveled again up the G14 to Fort Hunter Ligget for the “All Hands Breakfast�. Our Government sure knows how to pick some beautiful locations for bases. This one is in an ancient oak forest. The grounds once belonged to William Randolph Hearst as his hunting lodge – WOW!

After breakfast we headed out Nacimiento Fergusson Road – PAY ATTENTION! All sports car lovers should treat this road as Mecca and go on a Haj to run it at least once! We (the Miata and my roadster), once again tore through the oaks and pines at break-neck speeds, stopping only once for a vista of the Pacific that HAD to be enjoyed.

I followed Ed’s (the “Disorganizer�) silver 356 from there on at a much more leisurely pace. A road of note was Prefumo Canyon Road, which granted us another breathtaking Vista of Morro Bay, the green hills of earth surrounded by god’s only mountains. California is Awesome!

We deviated from plan and crowd, enjoying The Best hamburger I have ever attempted to eat (half was dinner that night at home) in Nipomo at Jocko's Steak House. Ed told me the “Jacko Burger was way too much to eat, so I ordered it. Man, was it good!

The course got even more corrupted when our route east back to the interstate 5 (Route 166) was barricaded closed due to storm damage. At that point, I waved off my company and headed down 101, home to LA

Jocko's Steak House: 805-929-3686
125 N Thompson Ave
Nipomo, CA 93444, US
Reviews at (lots of pop ups)
http://cuisinenet.com/info/rstrnt-263836/#reviews
Victor_laury

Event photo galleries

Post by Victor_laury »

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Victor

That sounded like some great Fun!! Gotta find a way to do that in the future!!

Lou Smaldino
Lou Smaldino
Vacaville, CA

Enjoying the ride!!
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Vic, I was over at Skip's shop today to get some work done, pre-Solvang. When I saw your car, the only thing that spurted out of my mouth was "holy shit"! I saw the paint damage on the front and on the windshield. You must have gone on some rotten pavement to get all those chips. I'm sure you follow the one car length for every ten miles per hour rule. :lol: But someone in front of you was kicking up a shit load of pebbles. Did some of the very expensive cars also get whacked? I'm guessing the Muira is worth as much as my house! BTW, your high school english composition teacher would be proud of you.
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

The wages of sin.
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Iron Bottom story and pics, THANKS!

Post by FergO2k »

Thanks Vic,
great write-up. wonderful pics. a definite on my calendar for next year, even with the same vacation day challenges.
Fergus O, 69 2000 lusting for twisties, HB,CA
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Fantastic Write-up, Vic.

Is the No frills rally going upscale? A Muira !

Didn't see a single picture of a primered car...
Dan
Houston, TX
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

The Muria was at the end points, but NOT ONCE did I, or any I asked, see it at any time on the route. It got dirty very little in comparision to the other cars, so I take it that it stuck to the freeways and avoided the very thing I came for.

It is still considered a NFIBMT sin to wash your car during the event (except for those washes Momma Natura provides). Ed complained over the price of food, saying the event was starting to resemble the California Millie Miglia. I countered that it costs $12 to eat at McDonalds these days, how extravagant is a $17.00 sit down meal?

The blue Triumph is a paint brush job, does that qualify? If I had a rattle can flat black roadster, I would have gladly taken it.
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

My Rattle can flat black Roadster and I feel like we were there. Great writing Vic, very descriptive and I could feel the speed. It just made me feel like..oh..oh...ohhhh...Oh now I'll have to clean myself.

Ron
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)