Inspect/Review my car?

Want to pass on some goodwill to others. Got some extra stuff to give away. Post it here!

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

User avatar
Mackn367
Site Supporter
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Mackn367 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Hope I am asking this question in the right thread...

I was wondering if anyone out there can look at my car and inspect it (or maybe if you know of someone or some shop close to me that is reputable). Basically take a look at it and help me see what it needs or maybe just give me a good overall on my car and its condition and maybe guide me in the right direction for what my next parts/upgrades/fixes I should be looking into soon.

Anyone willing to give a little of their time? I am hoping to find someone somewhat close to my area. Maybe within 1 hour or less. I am located specifically in Costa Mesa/Santa Ana, CA (I'm on the border of the two)

Thanks all!!! :wink: :smt006
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600 - On the streets again soon!
Orange County, CA

User avatar
spags1986
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:31 am
Location: Azusa California

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by spags1986 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:42 pm

I have never used Miller imports but have heard great things. He's about an hour from you but is worth the drive to someone who knows these cars. Here is his Yelp link. https://www.yelp.com/biz/millers-sports ... -pasadena
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000

User avatar
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 6596
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Gregs672000 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:27 pm

There's gotta be a million CA Roadster fans on this site who would be willing to make a new friend! Free beer and pizza? We're simple little animals here... if I lived local...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA

RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:17 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by RustBucket » Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Hey Nick,
Welcome to the crew! I'm not too far away in Aliso Viejo. I'd be happy to take a look. Do you have time this weekend? Does your car run? PM me your number and we can work something out to take a look. Maybe I can get some of the other OC crew to come too.
Rustbucket

I think that you met up with Greg already today. He's a great resource.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA

User avatar
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 1591
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by FergO2k » Sat May 05, 2018 7:37 am

Count me in. I live at the very north western edge of OC (Los Alamitos), but that is no biggie, and roadster folk (Vic Larry, Craig Carter) did this same thing for me when I first purchased.
Let’s see if we can get an informal get together of roadster folk, as often the part you need we already have buried in our “treasure trove”, and you can sit in /look at others for future project ideas. Like Miata seats?
Does it run? Mile Square Park, or something nearer to you? Irvine Spectrum?
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door
Los Alamitos, CA

User avatar
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 6596
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Gregs672000 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:45 am

I love this group! Always ready to Help! I was driving home Thursday from work and came up on an early Roadster. Got the guy to pull over and we proceeded to talk cars n stuff. Nice kid, probably early 20s, '66 1600 he had recently fallen in love with and sold his lowered and custom Chevy PU to buy. The car was a bit rough, some rust and in general need of some things, but he's got the bug and I don't live far away. He's welcome to any extra parts I don't need, like older badges etc. He's been on 311s but knew nothing about the local group DROPS. I look forward to helping him out and bringing in another family member.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA

User avatar
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by AC77 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Gregs672000 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:45 am
I love this group! Always ready to Help! I was driving home Thursday from work and came up on an early Roadster. Got the guy to pull over and we proceeded to talk cars n stuff. Nice kid, probably early 20s, '66 1600 he had recently fallen in love with and sold his lowered and custom Chevy PU to buy. The car was a bit rough, some rust and in general need of some things, but he's got the bug and I don't live far away. He's welcome to any extra parts I don't need, like older badges etc. He's been on 311s but knew nothing about the local group DROPS. I look forward to helping him out and bringing in another family member.
Who is this mystery driver and where did you run into him?
Adam C
1967 SPL311-08433 1600, "Ivy"
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1967 Volkswagen Beetle, "Rose"
1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle
1972 Chevy Luv

User avatar
Solex68
Site Supporter
Posts: 1434
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Solex68 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:00 pm

RustBucket wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 pm
Hey Nick,
Welcome to the crew! I'm not too far away in Aliso Viejo. I'd be happy to take a look. Do you have time this weekend? Does your car run? PM me your number and we can work something out to take a look. Maybe I can get some of the other OC crew to come too.
Rustbucket

I think that you met up with Greg already today. He's a great resource.

I think that is a good idea Holden. The car looked pretty good but we didn't test anything as it was hot, work day was over and no time to get into it.

On a planned garage day, I suggest we:
1. Pull and inspect plugs, re-gap em and put them back it. They are new.
2. Check the compression
3. Check the timing
4. Balance the SUs, check the SU oil
5. Re could R&R the oil and filter. I'll donate a filter.
6. Check Cap & rotor of EI dizzy
7. Could inspect underneath
8. Check driveshaft U-joints
9. Check ALt voltage, although you know it's good, just get a reading
10. Stearing box adjustment

As far as low cost performance:
1. Install a K&N filter

Holden, RoadsterMike and Vinny will all have their own ideas.

I would pass on the Solex or Weber kit. It helps but it can get loud. My wife doesn't appreciate them as much as I do ;)
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000 U20
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy, Denso TT plugs

User avatar
Linda
Roadster Enthusiast
Posts: 6953
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Linda » Sat May 05, 2018 5:27 pm

I would add:
Inspect all zerks, replace missing and grease
Inspect upper control arm bolts to be sure they are tight. Plan to replace .
Inspect tranny and diff oil, top off.
Inspect/ clean all grounds, add ground wires as needed
Spray with CRC electronic cleaner, after DC neg battery, every plug and connector
Inspect coolant, hoses and rad cap. Test thermostat with boiling water
Inspect/ clean fuse box
That should help. :)
Good to get all supplies ready.....
Linda
68 1600
Los Angeles, CA
Tech Wiki->Parts->Parts Interchange
Archives has it all

User avatar
Mackn367
Site Supporter
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Mackn367 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:49 am

FergO2k wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:37 am
Count me in. I live at the very north western edge of OC (Los Alamitos), but that is no biggie, and roadster folk (Vic Larry, Craig Carter) did this same thing for me when I first purchased.
Let’s see if we can get an informal get together of roadster folk, as often the part you need we already have buried in our “treasure trove”, and you can sit in /look at others for future project ideas. Like Miata seats?
Does it run? Mile Square Park, or something nearer to you? Irvine Spectrum?
Yeah that would be great! I met up with Greg the other day but maybe we can do a small roadster meet up with local so cal members? Irvine spectrum would be perfect. Maybe like on top of the parking structure or something?
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600 - On the streets again soon!
Orange County, CA

User avatar
Mackn367
Site Supporter
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Inspect/Review my car?

Post by Mackn367 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:54 am

Solex68 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:00 pm
RustBucket wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 pm
Hey Nick,
Welcome to the crew! I'm not too far away in Aliso Viejo. I'd be happy to take a look. Do you have time this weekend? Does your car run? PM me your number and we can work something out to take a look. Maybe I can get some of the other OC crew to come too.
Rustbucket

I think that you met up with Greg already today. He's a great resource.

I think that is a good idea Holden. The car looked pretty good but we didn't test anything as it was hot, work day was over and no time to get into it.

On a planned garage day, I suggest we:
1. Pull and inspect plugs, re-gap em and put them back it. They are new.
2. Check the compression
3. Check the timing
4. Balance the SUs, check the SU oil
5. Re could R&R the oil and filter. I'll donate a filter.
6. Check Cap & rotor of EI dizzy
7. Could inspect underneath
8. Check driveshaft U-joints
9. Check ALt voltage, although you know it's good, just get a reading
10. Stearing box adjustment

As far as low cost performance:
1. Install a K&N filter

Holden, RoadsterMike and Vinny will all have their own ideas.

I would pass on the Solex or Weber kit. It helps but it can get loud. My wife doesn't appreciate them as much as I do ;)
That all sounds great!!! That would be extremely appreciated. Pizza and drinks all around for sure :)
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600 - On the streets again soon!
Orange County, CA