Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Tim
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Dashboard Cap- lesser of two evils-what do you think

Post by Tim »

Gentlemen,

I have already committed and have purchased a dashboard cap. I have read the article on fitting the new cap. I am somewhat concerned about the undertaking. I am not a mechanical person and do not want to bite off more than I can chew. I have a second less deterioated dash for my 68 311. How difficult is it to take the dash out of my car. (for the uneducated). Would I be better off to fit the dashboard cover to my extra dash and then replace my existing dash with the covered one. Or would it make more sense to fit the cover on my existing dash. Has anyone fitted the cap without taking out the windshield. Would I be better off taking it to the auto trim shop and have them do it while they make me a new top. Any experienced hands out there? How long and how difficult a job is it to remove and replace a dash for the inexperienced individual. What is involved. Has anyone seen a very explicit how to web page. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

i cant help.... but i have no doubt that your gonna get some help!
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

The toughest task you are going to have in removing the dash, is if you are going to try and remove it without taking the window out, there ae some bolts right by the window that are next to impossible to get out without taking the window out.

The cap really looks pretty good once it is installed, and is not a bad inexpensive fix. If your car is a daily driver and not a show car, I personnaly would just add the Dash Cap.

Lou Smaldino
64-1500
66-1600
67-2000
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

dash cap

Post by sgriffin »

I've done both, and the dash cap installation is MUCH easier than the removal. Good luck whichever you choose. Sam
Sam E. Griffin
Half Fast Racing
Roadster Nut

Post by Half Fast Racing »

I've run a dash cap on my 69 for many years, makes a poor dash look great for a daily driver. Only a Datsun roadster fanatic would notice it's a cover pretty quick, as the holes around the switchs and bottom edge fit are noticeable when you know what to look for.

One piece of advice, if your current dash is cracked with large "upheavals" where the dash is split, trim it down flat before installing the dash cap. The final fit will look much better.

If you really have a restored or original "show quality" car,
you may want to look at replacing the dash,
otherwise, go with the dash cap.
John Atchison
http://www.onewest.net/~jda/halffastracing.html
69 2000, 67.5 SPL/SR20DET
various roadster parts cars
MR2s and shifter karts !
Tim

Dash Cap- lesser of two evils

Post by Tim »

Gentleman,

Thank you for the feed back. I was a little worried that I might be getting in over my head. If an experienced individual can do the job in 45 minutes, it seems that it will take me 4 hours. I am gradually getting my car done. I hope to have it up and running before too long. Once I get it moving and can get my kids to show me how to set up a community webshots web page I will download some pictures.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by Conner »

Definitely show us some pictures.
Remember, the fun only starts once you are in over your head!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Tim

Lesser of two evils

Post by Tim »

You got it Andy,

I am waiting for my engine to come back from the shop. They virtually needed to rebuild it. New cam, rings, machined head, oil pump, etc. I am sure you know the routine. I am having them do the engine, and I had a local shop paint it for me. Everything else I (or with my sons help) have done myself. It is no where near original. I am using a none original paint, with a non original seat color. Personally, I think it looks great, and who cares, I am the one driving it (or maybe my wife more so than me- I may have a problem here). A few things I may still need to deal with, but I understand ( in the case of brakes, electrical etc.) I almost need to wait until the car is ready to move to determine if I have a problem. So we will just have to wait and see. I just hope it starts. The only reason it shouldn't, is if there is an electrical problem. I hope to get the engine back in a couple of weeks. Then it would be down hill from there.

Thanks for yours and everybody elses interest

Tim
wineguy
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by wineguy »

Remember, the fun only starts once you are in over your head!
Andy, you should know. You removed the carpet from your car because it was wet. That was a year ago. :D :lol: Are you over your head yet?
Chuck Barnes
67.5 2000 SRL-218- Sold
67.5 1600 SPL
67.5 2000 SRL-525
69 2000 SRL-12664