Undercoating

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Undercoating

Post by Skyman »

Hey everyone. I have scraped and sandblasted the under carraige to the metal. What have you guys been using for undercoating? A friend told me that he had his Cuda sprayed with a bedliner (Rihno Liner). Others have told me that the bedliners get old and brittle and don't flex enough creating small cracks where water can intrude. I have seen a product from 3M that looks ok. I am curious to hear your comments.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

My neighbor used some brand of bed coating for undercoating on his 280z but I have no experience with it....
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

I used POR-15....it is chip, crack, and rust proof. This is really tough and effective stuff. If you want a "cushiony" surface, I still recommend to coat the bare metal with the POR-15 first to rust proof the undercarriage permanently and then use any bedliner stuff.
Check the website www.por15.com

Jorge
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

i have heard some good talk bout the por15
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

I am using a product similar to POR-15. It is called Rust Bullet. I know of a couple of guys that have used it and speak very highly of it. One guy had used POR-15 before finding this product. www.rustbullet.com

I will have coated the whole inside, underneath, trunk with this product. Then will undercoat/paint as needed. I was looking for a real stock look.

I have looked at the 3M product called 3M Underseal Rubberized Undercoating. 08883. The end result looks pretty good.

Kyle
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The 3M Rubberized undercoating is very good. I have had it on a couple of cars (including Roadsters!)
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Hey Kyle, did you ever make your decision on this?

I'm planning a similar set-up and would like to know if you went with the 3M product and if so how it went and how much you used for the roadster.

If you haven't done it yet, FYI the cheapest I could find this product was on ebay for $8.99 a can: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4617559256

There is another (cheaper) 3M undercoating product, but it is probably worth going with the pricier stuff. In any case, there is the cheaper one at $3.99/can: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4560961833
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

Andy, I went with the 3m product, part no. 08883. It is called "3M Underseal rubberized undercoating". Looks real good. I have only done the back half so far, with three coats. Maybe overkill but I would rather err on the more, than not enough. I have been out of commission for a bit so I did not get a chance to do the whole underneath. I started with two cans, 19.7 oz. per can. It went a lot further than I expected. 3-4 may do the whole car. Spray it on lightly to avoid sagging. Or rotate it upside down on a rotisseri, opps, I forgot you don't have one. :P I hope to update my site soon. If you need, I could post some pics.

Kyle
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Yeah, no rotisserie for me. I am getting good at perching myself underneath and reaching upwards, though. :twisted:
Pictures would be helpful when you get done. I will probably use the same product and it is helpful to know that four cans should do it. Thanks!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633