Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Transmission nut removal

Post by Linda »

The transmission fill nut seems to have gotten stuck on my car. The guy at Jiffy Lube could not remove it and suggested I go to a welder to have another nut welded on to remove it. Not sure I like that idea. Would a transmission shop be likely to have better tools for removing the nut since that is their specialty? Or, where else should I try?
I did have fun driving there though. One guy asked if it was a 87! Scary.

Linda
68 1600
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Hm! Not the first time I see that happen. Good thing I had the transmission on the floor and had all the space to force that sucker loose. You can try and see what they say at a transmission place. 87?? :shock:
steve68

Post by steve68 »

he problaly thought it was an MG! :roll: You need a big MG sticker with a slash thu' it...who has that here?

Steve
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by Conner »

I used a breaker-bar with a 1/2" drive. That should give you better leverage. Mine was out of the car though, so not sure if you could get one on there with it still installed.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I have a 5 speed, If I recall it had a 1/2" square recess in the plug, breaker bar fits in. Took a good bit of force to move it.

One desparation move that will sometimes work, but be VERY CAREFUL...Used it the other day to get shock absorber bolts off my truck. Air impact wrench wouldn't move them, 6 foot pipe did 3 of them, this method the last one. Most of the bleeding has stopped, I'll be back walking in a week or two. :D

Use all the usual stuff first, PB Buster, naval jelly 6 foot pipe on the breaker bar.etc

1 get a 6 point box wrench or prefferably 6 point shallow socket and breaker bar if a hex, on the fastner, wrench pointing about 4 O'clock.

2 Put a floor jack under the end of the wrench and apply mild pressure, as much as you think is safe... 1-3 inches is about all If any wheels are not touching the ground, you are WAY past safe. Don't raise the jack any higher than the lowest point of the car, in case it slips. This may break it loose. A sharp smack with a hammer on the socket may help too

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
I am going to give them all to the biggest, baddest transmission guy I can find and let him do all the brute force stuff!

Linda
68 1600
FergO2k

and add anti-sieze

Post by FergO2k »

Yep, good idea Linda.
What has happened is the old steel bolt vs aluminum trans case dissimilar metals interaction. Impact wrench should get it.
Don't forget to have him put anti-sieze on the threads when he is re-installing, might be good to bring some along and provide it to them. Fergus O, Happy St. Pat's Day to all
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I was also told that in worst case scenario of not getting transmission fill nut off of transmission that tranny oil can be added thru thru the reverse light hole, as well as thru the shifter hole, anyone try this?

Linda
68 1600
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I don't give up that easily, but it would work. Just have to fully drain the old stuff and put in a measured amount of new fluid.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I went to a transmission place, (TRC Transmission Chatsworth, CA) and the guy got the transmission nut off with one whack of a hammer. I can not figure out why the Jiffy Lube guy could not get it unless they are told not to use a hammer. Unbelievable. Anyhow got the tranny fluid changed out, staying with dino. The guy there raced midget sprint cars and looked like a very knowledgeable guy. Funny, but across the street was another transmission shop, and as I drove past I saw a beautiful grey/lavender 66/67
Roadster, so I stopped and left a note. Someone getting a clutch done at Lion's Transmission, Chatsworth, CA?
Small world I guess.

Linda
68 1600
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Well, Jiffy Lube is the answer to the question, I missed that in the original post. Ususlly not the highest caliber of technician, although there are exceptions. I used to love them when I was working in the dealerships. They were good for 4 or 5 engines a year.

I do my own oil changes, but I'm thinking of going to the local Nissan dealer for fun next time they have a special.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70