4 speed rebuild

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

AaronC

4 speed rebuild

Post by AaronC »

My wife and I bought our Roadster (67.5 1600) about 5 years ago. It was at one time brought back to life by Mike Young and owned by Andrew Murphy before being brought to Colorado by guy by the name of Wolf. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy our Roadster for the last years without too much trouble. The car has always had a lot of oil leaks (main seal) and a clutch on the way out.

Last fall my wife and I were out on a Saturday drive and the transmission started to sound like a bearing went bad. So It's about time to pull the whole motor and transmission out.

Before the transmission went south the gearbox felt great. So my question is how hard is it to do a rebuild on a 4speed? Should I start looking for a replacement transmission? Other than the bad bearing what else should I replace while I am in there? What tools should I have to do the job?

I also plan on rebuilding the motor myself so I may need to ask you more questions in the future.

Thanks
AaronC
:D :D
Last edited by AaronC on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve68

Post by steve68 »

You could always replace it with a 5speed. Thats what ill be doing when the time comes.

Steve
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

Thanks for the advice. Is there a reason why I shouldn't rebuild this 4 speed?
I know that you can toss a 5 speed in with some mods and a lot more money. Right now I'm just looking to fix what is there without having to shell out cash for another drive shaft and gearbox that may need to be rebuilt anyway. If it turns out that my 4 speed gear box is kaput then I may consider a 5 speed.

Thanks,
AaronC