She's finished!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

camronware

She's finished!

Post by camronware »

My "small" resto project is drawing to a close! Finally...
Exactly 6 months to the day, she's done!
I made an album for everyone to see the process:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548413329NsVKsj

She's done expect for a stereo (in the mail somewhere) and maybe an oil change, but this is about it for now. It's not a show car by any means, but she wasn't supposed to be. Just a great looking weekend driver...or if it's just a beautiful day, I'll drive it to work sometimes.

A little background...
I picked this up from an elderly gentleman here in town last fall. He had rebuilt the engine (which is a 1600 for some reason), redone all the brakes, put a dash cover on, and had a new soft top.

That's where I come in...I stripped the interior, layed new insulation and new carpet that I cut myself. Works WONDERFUL at keeping down noise and heat.
I painted the wheels with the old tires on, then got new tires...they look pretty good in person, but if the right set of panasports come around I'll buy those.

I touched almost everything on the interior except the dash. Even down to making sure the screws were all silver on some of the metal kick plates.
Everything on the outside is new, or rechromed, minus some small things (wipers, washer nozzles...I plan on replacing later)
I love that steering wheel and sticker (thanks to Alvin!!) and that knob rocks my world..

As far as the engine goes, I had a big problem with the car stalling after driving a while. Along with a few other things, I ended up replacing the coil, ballast, fuel pump, fuel lines, banjo screens and washers, cleaned the tank, blew out metal fuel lines, full tune up down to the point wire, fresh fluids, and the highest octane gas. She runs like a champ. I managed to get a polished valve cover, and I spent about 20 mins doing a little cleaning on the engine, but nothing too extensive. I was planning on getting it steamed cleaned later on.

It was actually way more than I wanted to get into, but I am overjoyed that I took the car this far. When I first drove it, the oil pressure gauge line was dripping on my knee, I couldn't press on the gas without getting my foot stuck on the old carpet, there was dust and dirt everywhere, and I could barely stand looking at the painted bumbers.

But now, she's quite the looker... I took the long way home today after getting the tailpipe welded up, and it was just awesome!!! As soon as I got it in the driveway, I had 3 people come up asking me about it. It's a great feeling to get something this 'big' done..first time too!
When I was younger I used to put hundreds of car models together..(still do) but now I did it for real I guess...she turned out all right I think. Thanks to all for your help along the way!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:She's Finished

Post by S Allen »

Looking real good! Pat yourself on the back. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

running

Post by sgriffin »

Cam:
Admiration, exhultation, completion. Thanks for the pix. Regards. Sam
Sam E. Griffin
project_timemachine
Roadster Fanatic

Post by project_timemachine »

Great job on the resto project! The valve cover really looks sweat! How were you able to make it that shiny...was it already chromed by the previous owner?
Steven
'65 Fairlady Racer

"Life is like a box of used Datsun parts, you'll never know what you're gonna get..."

http://www.projecttm.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenflor
camronware

Post by camronware »

project_timemachine wrote:Great job on the resto project! The valve cover really looks sweat! How were you able to make it that shiny...was it already chromed by the previous owner?
thanks guys..
I picked that up on ebay for $100. There is this one seller who lists one every now and again.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Very nice work! Congratulations.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Looking good! Any plans of getting a U20 back in the car?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
camronware

Post by camronware »

67 1/2 1600 wrote:Looking good! Any plans of getting a U20 back in the car?
Not currently, but that still is a wish of mine. Maybe in a couple of years...
I mean, the 96hp in this little car is great...but I want to feel the 150hp of a solex-fed motor!
Blue turn signals?
Those are the sylvania amber bulbs that have a blue tint on the outside. I actually plan on getting just plain amber bulbs...I don't like how the 'blue' shows that much.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

That looks sweet! Mines pushing 5 years, and it still doesn't have real paint. I was hoping to have that done by Solvang, but I've run into a couple of snags, the biggest being my landlord won't let me tear the car apart for paint, and I haven't found another place to do it. Perhaps by Shasta :roll: ?

Nice job,
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Looks very nice. And all done in record time too. You must not have a day job :)
I'm especially interested in the insulation you put down, where is that available?
Also the steering wheel looks great.
Congratuations on your "small" project!

Linda
68 1600
camronware

Post by camronware »

Linda wrote:Looks very nice. And all done in record time too. You must not have a day job :)
I'm especially interested in the insulation you put down, where is that available?
Also the steering wheel looks great.
Congratuations on your "small" project!

Linda
68 1600
thanks! I do have a day job...it's just very flexible. :)

There are two layers of insulation actually. Both from Home Depot. The silver went down first, you'll find it in the back of the store..I think it's for A/C ducting?? The other layer is actually laminate flooring...the stuff that goes under the flooring. It's very moldable and almost spongy. I put that only where your feet rest on the floor. Without the laminate flooring insulation, the silver stuff crinkles and is quite noisy. Plus, the more noise and heat insulation the better right?
windy311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by windy311 »

Mate you done a top job there be proud of your efforts.Rob
1964 1500 H20 powered 5 speed
1965 1600
Rob.