Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Hood release re-cable

Post by RustBucket »

As part of my dash/electrical rebuild I made the mistake of pulling the hood release cable out of the flex tube it's in. The flex tube is a soft plastic and since the cable is frayed a bit, it of course will not go back into the tube. The cable ends just poke into the flex tube. If there a way or is there a company that will put a new cable onto the hood release handle metal part? I wasn't sure if it was soldered in or swaged. I tried heating it up with a propane torch to pull the cable out, but it didn't seem to work (or maybe I didn't get it hot enough). Any ideas? I'd like to replace the cable part. Right now I'm running a stylish bike brake cable and housing as a stop gap. 67.5 1600.
Thanks,
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Hood release re-cable

Post by AC77 »

Where do you even get a new cable? Is this something someone sells? Curious what your solution was.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Which year? I can provide. Email is best!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

@rustbucket
while you are thinking cables, you might want to do the same for the trunk.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustBucket »

Thanks guys for the input. I've still got my stylish bike cable for the release. I never ended up finding another solution. ....but now that JT68 offers.. JT I'll send you an email, you need a website to show off all your great parts. The picture below is the item I'm looking for.
Rustbucket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

You might be able to solder the frayed end and polish it so you can slide it back into the housing.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

RustBucket wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 pm Thanks guys for the input. I've still got my stylish bike cable for the release. I never ended up finding another solution. ....but now that JT68 offers.. JT I'll send you an email, you need a website to show off all your great parts. The picture below is the item I'm looking for.
Rustbucket
Holden,
In the end, what was your solution?
I could solder a new cable in but I worry it will come out. I tried to unsolder the original one out and mine did not come out, it broke. So I then cut it flush off and drilled a new hole down the center of the rod. The hole is probably a 1/4 inch deep. I am on the fence of soldering a new cable or buy a JT replacement unit. Just curious which route you took.
I did try to solder the frayed end but no solder would stick to it. I had luck with that method before on my choke cable.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

currently, I just have a bicycle cable from the release to the cockpit - nothing fancy yet.
Peter Harrison
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

Solex68 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am
RustBucket wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 pm Thanks guys for the input. I've still got my stylish bike cable for the release. I never ended up finding another solution. ....but now that JT68 offers.. JT I'll send you an email, you need a website to show off all your great parts. The picture below is the item I'm looking for.
Rustbucket
Holden,
In the end, what was your solution?
I could solder a new cable in but I worry it will come out. I tried to unsolder the original one out and mine did not come out, it broke. So I then cut it flush off and drilled a new hole down the center of the rod. The hole is probably a 1/4 inch deep. I am on the fence of soldering a new cable or buy a JT replacement unit. Just curious which route you took.
I did try to solder the frayed end but no solder would stick to it. I had luck with that method before on my choke cable.
I replaced my cable this weekend and now it works better than ever. I used a bike cable. I severed of the existing cable when it would not desolder out. Not sure if it was soldered or pressed in, but it looked soldered. Anyway, the next step was to drill a new hole since there wasn't one anymore. It was filled with the remaining cable. Then I soldered in a new cable. I had to go one step further, I had to remove the sheathing and replace that too. What a job! It works so well now that I can't complain.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustBucket »

Sorry for the delayed response. I just ordered one from JT. Works great! Rustbucket
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Be sure to install the "emergency back up" release... it's a zip tie that is attached to the release and routed under the dash. If your cable fails, you can operate the release and open the hood... otherwise you no es happy! Do the same for the trunk release... drill a small hole in the trunk floor below the release, attach a long zip tie or similar to pull down the release and rout the tie through the hole. Seen to many trunk locks fail, resulting in drills, cursing and body damage.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

depending upon the year (at least '70) there is already a hold for the license plate lights.
Peter Harrison
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_1368.jpg
My cable and hood parts were lost in the mess of the paint shop moving from one location to another. Does anyone have photos of how it was routed and what I need to make this work? My fire wall had all the holes filled in so I have no idea where to start. This photo is all I have. I'm not sure it's for a 1968. I would gladly buy everything I need if it's available. I will post this in parts wanted as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Just a suggestion on the "back-up".
Zip ties tend to age with time and heat, so make the back-up using the thin wire rope sold as "picture hanging kit" at hobby stores. Even though very low cost, these stand up to heat and have simple "pliers swage" fitting in them that allow you to make a loop or install a handle.
(I now no longer even use my trunk lock, I just reach down and use the cable all the time)
Zip ties age and get brittle?
Sure do, on a recent backroads drive I went thru a dip at good clip and managed to drive over my own grill..... DOH! Some mild re-shaping now on the project list.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA