Top Install - How do cable brackets go on?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

futuredeadguy

Top Install - How do cable brackets go on?

Post by futuredeadguy »

Hey All:

Installed the new soft top on my '68 this weekend and everything went perfect - only one problem - I can't figure out how the cable brackets that install at the rear of the side windows go on.

Can anyone explain or provide a photo?

Thanks!

Jim
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Most folks just leave the cables off. They mount on the small metal tabs that hang down by the front header, run through the channel around the perimeter of the side, and then the clip is connected to the end of them.

I don't have pics handy, but let me know if that makes sense...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
futuredeadguy

Post by futuredeadguy »

Thanks for the quick reply, Sid.

Got everything installed, just don't know where the rear clips go once they're hooked to the cable. I can't figure out if they are connected to the body somehow or if they attach to the top itself.

May go without the cables, but I'll have a gap in the window seal without them. I'm more concerned about how it looks than the functionality.

May also work on designing an alternative to the cables since I've seen that many people here don't like them.

Jim
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
futuredeadguy

Post by futuredeadguy »

Stickerman wrote:Sounds like you are missing a part. They slide into this

Do you have that?
Nope, don't have it.

Next question is how hard are they to get?

I already have an idea for a better way to tension the fabric at the window. Going to mess around with it over next weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

Meanwhile, if anyone has the parts shown above, I'm interested. Even if I do something else, I'd still like to have the correct parts.

Thanks.

Jim
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

i think i might... ill go check in my "top bag"
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

good news!! i got both of them and 2/4 of the original screws! BUT, i looked the pic and mine have 2 ridges that those dont.... but both of our cars are high windshield cars... heres a pic from rallye

(rallye list them for $26.69 .... so make me an offer!)
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Jim.

I've gone without the cable for years, the only other thing you might want to do to make certian the front buckles don't come loose is to mount some velcro strips under the buckle mount on the windshield side of car. Then secure the actual buckle to it so they don't fly off. These buckles are hard to keep evenly adjusted. If one takes more pressure than an other the loose one tends to un latch. Your local home improvement store or some vendors carry them.

Tom 69/2.0 Lady-n-red