Low Windshield Glass Removal

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bill83
Forum Newb

Low Windshield Glass Removal

Post by Bill83 »

Hi Everyone!

Can someone help me out with removing the glass on my '66 Roadster? The windshield is off the car. I see the two Phillips head screws on the lower side rails and I've been told there are two more each on the top (8 total screws). When removed, the four frame pieces come apart and the glass can be removed. Assemble in reverse order. My concern is that I've also been told these need to be removed with an impact driver. It seems like the first wack on the driver will crack the glass. Does anyone know how to do this safely? Thanks!
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Low Windshield Glass Removal

Post by Nissanman »

I didn't use an impact driver, not required.
Having said that, you may need to tighten the screws slightly before attempting to loosen.
If they have been there for 51 years they might just be stubborn :shock:
You could also apply local heat with a soldering iron to help release them.
In any case, use plenty of your favourite DWF like WD-40/CRC/PB etc.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
Bill83
Forum Newb

Post by Bill83 »

That is good to hear. I have been using liberal doses of Liquid Wrench. But, will let that continue to work. (Yes, the screws have not been turned in 51 years). I will try your heat suggestion. Great advice. Thank you very much. I will let you know how it goes.
Jujuman
Site Supporter

Post by Jujuman »

I am interested in your progress. I have a 67.5 with a cracked windshield and will need to replace the glass. I will subscribe to your topic.
Jujuman
Red 67.5 SPL-311-13263
Gold 65 SPL-311-01613 (in boxes)
2007 Expedition EL
Bill83
Forum Newb

Post by Bill83 »

Update: The top two screws on each side came off like the day they went in. No rust there or trouble whatsoever. On the bottom 4 screws, that were fairly rusted up, I did add liquid wrench, and heat - off and on for about three days, then gave it a go at the screws. One came free and out. One sheared off and the other two I ended up ruining by taking a Dremmil to them to cut a slot as the Phillips head just wasn't grabbing. So, I talked to my mechanic and he told me how to at least get the frame apart: Cut the Phillips ends of the screws off, flush with the frame. Then, take a drill bit the size of the screw head and carefully drill down to the shank point, stop. Then, with a bit a little smaller than the shank drill down into the shank area a couple millimeters. This creates a small "crater" into which you can (with a small punch) carefully tap the remaining screw head material down. You will see it separate away from the frame as you go. In no time, I was able to give the back of the frame a careful rap with a hammer and the frame separated. Worked great on both sides. With all four frame pieces apart I could then get to the back side of the receiving tangs where the end of the screws protruded just enough to get a vice grip on them. But, no joy, they sheared off. so, I cut them flush and took them up to my mechanic who carefully drilled out the shanks and tapped the threads (8-32). Note my frequent use of the word "careful." The parts are now at the chrome shop getting a little restoration and re-chroming. Hope to have them back in a week or so. Good luck!
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Nissanman »

Yes, a lot of fun there :(
After my frame was re-finished and before assembly, I coated the inside of the channels with fish oil.
The rubber seal doesn't create a perfect seal against the frame as it does with the glass.
The fish oil, hopefully, will prevent any future corrosion due to moisture :idea:
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!