taking off door handles to replace door panel ?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

katekylemom

taking off door handles to replace door panel ?

Post by katekylemom »

is there a trick to taking off door window cranks & inside door handles ? I don't see any hidden screws . Do they just pull off ? need to refurbish the door panels ? Thanks . while on the subject of doo rpanels, mine has black leather panels . Think these wre stock ? They are top stiched in 3-4 inch squares.
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

pull the door handle out and unscrew the screw, then in the middle of window crank there should be a screw.... might be under a cap.... but undo that. Got any pics of the door panel? I think they are supposed to be vinyl like so.... (This one doesnt have any holes drilled though) Image
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Last edited by DELETED on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I beleive the door cranks and window handles have clips to hold them in place.
katekylemom

Post by katekylemom »

one is a 66 & one ia a 67. I never thought to push in the panel and find it recessed, so I will try that. Thanks. I saw/see no screws so I think it will have clips. Thanks.
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Mark's photo is right on the money. I use a dental pick to hook the clip and pull it out. To replace, install the clip on to the handle, then push the handle back on.
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

I made a remover out of a piece of wire coat hanger. Put a 90* bend near one end and trim it off so it's no more than about 1/8" long. Hammer the end flat, but not too thin. Bend the rest so you have a "C" shape with each of the other sides about 2-3" long and the long end 180* to the small end.

You should be able to reach in, hook on the top of the clip and pull it out. As soon as you have the winder off, put the clip back into the slot so you won't lose it. Then, like Vic said, when you're ready, just line it up and push it back on the splined shaft. I suggest having the handle point straight down before you pull the winder off, that way you can put everything back together just like it was before you did the disassembly, and also have easy access to remove the clip.
Bucky
katekylemom

door handle pins

Post by katekylemom »

I just wanted to tell you all THANKS !!! I got them out with a small standard screwdriver. Your tips on creating a tool were good & I will try to make something for the other car. I did not see these clips at first because the "collar on a spring" against the handle was something I didn'r realize was there, so I was pushing in the panel itself trying to see this "clip" you all spoke of. Then I realized the black plastic ring was actually a spring loaded piece. Once I found a way to hold that back I could see the spring . Someone suggested putting it all back together at once so as not to lose the pieces. That was a great suggestion too, although I use baggies. One thing I forgot was that this is the car with the shaved off door handles & I SHUT THE DOOR WITHOUT THINKING . ARGH@$@#%$# Lucky for me the windwing glass is out awaiting new rubber so I could reach in to the floor, get the handle , put it onto the post & turn it. It was here that I realized thatthere is definately a certain way these handles need to go back on when the door panel gets replaced. I jsut wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with this first step of what will most likely be a long restoration process. Cindy :D