So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Re: So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

Post by cktrap »

When I went out and bought my last one without telling the boss or asking permission. I ended up with a whole new living room full of furniture That was bought without permission which by the way cost three times as much as the roadster. Nuff said. Although I think I made up for lost ground.
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
3Gs
Roadster Nut

Post by 3Gs »

My wife has fairly quickly embraced my choice to buy the Roadster but her first reaction was to decide that she would rather go to Hawaii than the planned ski trip with (mostly) my friends. So after she booked flights and rental houses in Hawaii, I let her know that she really didn’t ‘teach me any lessons’. Next she wanted to know if I was finally going to get around to initiating a long pending deck project (turns out the guy I bought the Datsun from is a contractor) OK, deck built. So yes since adding another car to our fleet (is 4 cars for two people unreasonable?) has cost me more than a few times the price of the Roadster. But let’s recount, I now have a classic Datsun Roadster, we’re going to Hawaii, and we have a new deck to enjoy; nope I guess I still don’t really recognize the error in my ways!

Here is a pic of Dottie (as we call her now) in the space I made in the garage,

Last edited by 3Gs on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

3Gs, what are those KO2's going to be put on?
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
3Gs
Roadster Nut

Post by 3Gs »

The KO2s are for our '87 Vanagon Syncro.

The Mini is an '03 R53, she was the first Indi Blue Supercharged BMW Mini in Washington state and the 201st Mini delivered in WA (I'm the original owner).
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

3Gs wrote:The KO2s are for our '87 Vanagon Syncro.
Whoa! Cool!
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
pauldness
Forum Newb

Post by pauldness »

owned miatas for 18years getting close to retirement thought needed something to keep me busy cruising ebay at work one day for collectable cars spotted this 69 one hour from my house went to look at before bidding actually took wife she saw it said we had to win waited till last second to bid
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

Had a couple of other projects going, one for my son, the other for my daughter, figured it was time to get something for me and my wife to enjoy. As my younger son pointed out, "only 2 people can fit in that". Exactly! This is a me plus 1 car. I honestly didn't even know that Datsun made a car like this until I started doing some digging. Thought it looked cool and I have a special place in my heart for Datsun's since my grandpa owned a truck way back when.
Adam
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I had one back in 86-87 . I was looking around for a fun car working out a a nuclear power plant here on the central coast . one of my workmates was selling a teardrop camping trailer and his 68 Datsun roadster . I wanted both but it was between this Corvette or the Roadster . I choose the Roadster . I had it for only about 2 yrs when I was dating this guy when my bearings went out . well he said he could fix it for me so I gave him some money and let him . well that day while I was at work he took it for a "test drive " and the next thing I know I'm getting a call from the cops asking me to look in this drawer for his driver's license because he had gotten into an accident.. he had fone on a red when it was a turn light green . he hit this Cadillac in the driver's front corner panel.. after he got back I asked where my car was . he said it was towed to his uncle's and he'll fix it . so ok ,well what ya gunna do rite . so within 2 weeks or less he had disappeared completely . no car and idk where his "uncle lives" . so all of this time goes by and I actually moved away back down to Redlands with my grandparents for a change . about a year later I got a lean notice in the mail . I'm thinking WHOOHOO found my roadster . shot back up here to the central coast to get it ... well it was all crunched up wheels going in opposite direction too .. it had been left open and rained on etc . well needless to say I let the guy keep it at the tow yard . I'm sure u know how hard it was then to get parts and such for them . I was so sad I cried all through lunch with my dad and had to take the Greyhound back to Redlands . WELL that left me heartbroken about the car . years later I'm having kids and they're getting their first car now and of course the roadster kept coming up but was never able to point one out to them . then ,like some of you , browsing on eBay and low and behold A Roadster . and not just one but several for sale . I tried and tried to get one but too rich for my blood . then on mother's day I win one . so, Ill try to Try to keep this kinda short...
, a rebuilt motor later , with me installing it myself piece by piece , I have my roadster again !! my dad passed away about a week after I got it , he never saw this one . so it's been my focus off his death, and I'm learning more than an oil change on a car . allot more . and now both of my boys know what one looks like and have driven one. maybe I'll pass the bug onto them .. haha but that's basically the recap of my experience with this baby . I bought a Suzuki Samurai convertible trying to pacify this car for me and I bought a motorcycle but neither of those, oh and a Volkswagen bug . but none were this roadster and didn't fit me as well, both physically and emotionally this car is me ! it's allot of fun when I'm not messing it up . . anyway back to it to see what else I got wet keeping the spark away .. ok ttfn Lorna
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
jnnt29
Roadster Nut

Post by jnnt29 »

I had the transmission replaced on my 1966 1600. What a huge difference with shifting of the car.
JT
1966 Datsun 1600
From Livingston NJ
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Wasnt sure where else to post this, but I bought my Roadster to build into a d-production racer for VARA. As Ive spent the last year driving the car, working on fixing its quirks and just general neglected items, Im getting a weird feeling that this car simply doesnt want to be built into a racecar. Its weird, but I truly believe that older cars respond to things in certain ways..

am i crazy, or do you guys get this "connection" Im talking about?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

My Roadster is by far one of my best friends for 32yrs. It is a connection that I've never shared with any other mechanical thing, outside of my drums (pretty much the same set I've had since age 17, plus or minus a few specialized cymbals or better pedals).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

So you definitely have that connection... hmm
Simon
Current Cars:
augsburger
Site Supporter

Post by augsburger »

You're the best thing to happen to that SRL in a long time.
I haven't felt like that since 7th grade...
70 SPL
83 F-250 460 c.i. puller
couple of others
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

augsburger wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 pm You're the best thing to happen to that SRL in a long time.
Thanks!

When are you going to spill the beans on yours? Im looking forward to seeing more
Simon
Current Cars:
augsburger
Site Supporter

Post by augsburger »

Trying to register now. Probably tonight.
I haven't felt like that since 7th grade...
70 SPL
83 F-250 460 c.i. puller
couple of others