General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Low WS hardtop thru smoothline

Post by ppeters914 »

fj20spl311 wrote:Factory Hardtop +1 I would be interested The important thing (to me) is that the top lays on the lip and not the paint.
Ditto, but no rush. Also from WA state. Maybe we should get a state discount? :lol:
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I'd be interested in one of Richard's tops.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Jackson,
You might want to consider Richard's OEM low windshield offering when discussing options with SL. I can tell you that there is great demand for this version hardtop, but in terms of "market" for SL maybe you need to get a forum headcount. Best to create a forum "poll" for that.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Thanks Alvin , I'm not sure if SL is aware that Richard is making a top , maybe they could work together to save on shipping costs like dbrick posted . I will start a new forum poll for a headcount
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
All Gave Some - Some Gave All
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

What I'd really like like is a targa top. I saw a picture of what looked like a smoothline half top on a Triumph or something.
66 stroker, almost done.
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Is there anyone in our group that is in contact with Richard ? It might be a good idea to see if he would consider giving Smoothline a license to manufacture his top in the US . If he would consider this i will discuss it with SL . Who knows it might be worth a shot just to ask . The photos i saw of Richards top were very impressive , do we know how close he came in making an exact copy of the factory top or does it need to be an exact copy ? Please help me out with your feedback so i can pass on our needs to SL
Thanks
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Jackson,
I sent you Richard's contact info. I think it's worth a shot to see if some sort of "collaboration" is possible. I know he based his reproduction on an actual OEM hardtop that came from a project car.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Any chance that one of our members might have a have a Nissan Factory Low Windshield Hardtop that could be used to reproduce same ? Thought i had a lead on one but it didn't work out . All we need is a shell
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
datsun1500
Roadsteraholic

Post by datsun1500 »

Curtis wrote:What I'd really like like is a targa top. I saw a picture of what looked like a smoothline half top on a Triumph or something.
You must have seen a TR6 with a surrey top.

I remember when no one wanted the 1500s......
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

datsun1500 wrote:
Curtis wrote:What I'd really like like is a targa top. I saw a picture of what looked like a smoothline half top on a Triumph or something.
You must have seen a TR6 with a surrey top.

No, but that's what I want.
66 stroker, almost done.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I would love one of these surrey tops also. Looks like it would cut down on the rear wind on cold mornings and also keep it a good bit quieter in the cabin while still leaving you the open air feeling.
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

My 67.5 is down in Pittsburg at Smoothline for Jack to design a hardtop . I was able to spend a few hours with Jack and left feeling very secure and ccomfortable with leaving my car with him . I showed Jack the 311 site and the two posts i started on this project . We discussed different styles of tops and the possibility of a Nissan factory top which is what most members seen to want . Without a factory top to work from this will be difficult but Jack thinks we can come pretty close and wants feedback from all of us . Believe me this is not your regular business owner where profit is the only thing that matters . Jack is the real thing , very much a car enthusiast who wants to build somethig we will be happy with.
I offered Jack the opportunity to join in with us on this post so we can all tell him directly whats on our wish lists . I assume this will be acceptable with out forum
I'm hoping for a lot of fast feeback on this so i am going to repeat this post on " Poll for interest on LW Hardtop " so all the members who responsesd to that post will also see this
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

One of our members wanted to know if i shared some of the negative feedback left on this post about poor customer service from SL . That was a good question and i did ask Jack about it . Without going into all the questions and answers i felt completly at ease with how Jack responded . I myself would never tolerate poor service and from what i heard and saw in my vist at his shop i found him to be open ,honest and sincere . When i searced SL on our site i found many poitive feedbacks about there tops . Before Jack started SL he ran a company called British Coach Works you can google it and read about the MGTD cars he built and see what is said about there quality . I did and was impressed
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Jackson - Huge thank you!! for working on this project & sharing the feedback details with Jack.
Dan
Houston, TX
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Thanks Dan it was my pleasure .Big question is do we try to go for a factory , modified parrish or even a " surry " style top . So far the factory style tops the wish list , problem here is not having to one to work from . We may have a original Parrish to pull a mold from and that will give us most of the shape we need and then work to get the Factory style look . I like the look of the Factory top but the Parrish rear window is great for visibility and gives a more streamlined look . Jack showed me what this would look like on me car and it was way cool with a flatter roof line and a little more sloped rear widow . Way cool made the roadster even like it would be supper fast
Richards top in the NL looks really nice , i belive his is not going to be a 100 % as in no rubber around the windows so how exact do we have to be if we want a factory top . If you can please post your thoughts and ideas
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225