key vs locking gas cap

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

katekylemom

key vs locking gas cap

Post by katekylemom »

One of the 2 project cars I just bought did not come with keys. They both have locking gas caps which look old and neither of them are coming off. Was a locking gas cap stock on 66's & 67's so should I be worried about ruining an original piece ? The keys seem old & slide into the gas cap on one car & turn , but the caps still don't come off ? How does one get them off as hard twisting is not working for me.Do I cut the cap itself ? thanks[/url][/list][/code]
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Locking Gas Caps

Post by S Allen »

Been there done that. I have had several cars that did not have the correct key for the gas cap or it was missing completely. The least damage will occur if you open the trunk lid. You will notice the rubber hose connecting the filler to the gas tank. You need to remove that which can be difficult but is very doable. Then you need to get a long phillips heads screw driver so you can unscrew the locking parts of the cap from the back side. Again not easy but doable. Once the locking mechanisim is removed you should be able to remove the cap with no visible signs of destruction. You can use the cap as is or try to have a lock smith cut a key for it.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth