So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Redrumls
Roadster Fanatic

Re: So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

Post by Redrumls »

Thanks Greg, I want to get it running then I'll go from there. Sr20 turbo swap looks good. A friend at work has a friend with a Datsun roadster & a S2000 motor swap. I have yet to see pics or the car.
Thanks, Greg
72 goon ka24de
64 nova ss
68 camaro ss
65 chevelle conv.
2012 dodge diesel 4x4
Coarsegold, CA
leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by leonhart »

Well, I was actually looking to buy a '71-77 Celica. My first car was an '86 Celica, currently drive a '00, and I've had a good ten or so in between -- most affectionately my '88 Celica Alltrac (AWD & Turbo). But I've always wanted a 1st gen. My grandpa had a '72 Celica, but he also had a '74 260z.

As I was having a hard time finding a Celica, I also started searching for a 70's Z. Rather than individual searches for different models, I just searched for Datsun. One day, a Roadster popped up pretty close by (about 2 hours away) in Columbus, OH. I went to see it, and for the price...well, I just couldn't pass it up.

I do wish it was driveable, as I know it's harder for me to "bond" with it and have as much desire to work on it when I have no real connection to it yet. But like I said...it was hard to pass it up for the price. It's been a little over 3 months, and I haven't made a ton of progress. Still hoping to have it running by September though for a car show at church (though if it isn't, I live about 30 feet from where the cars park...I'll just push it over!)
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

leonhart wrote:As I was having a hard time finding a Celica, I also started searching for a 70's Z. Rather than individual searches for different models, I just searched for Datsun. One day, a Roadster popped up pretty close by (about 2 hours away) in Columbus, OH. I went to see it, and for the price...well, I just couldn't pass it up.
Funny, aside from the Celica part, that's the EXACT same way I landed mine. I was originally looking for a later model 300zx, which turned into searching for 60's 240Z's. Around here, not much exists, so I just started searching craigslist for Datsun. Before I bought my roadster, I didn't even know that Datsun roadsters existed.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by leonhart »

Yeah, I think I had maybe seen Roadsters in passing (as in maybe mentioned online or in magazines) before, but I didn't really have any knowledge of them either. My brother went with me to check it out, and he didn't either (though we are both relatively into Japanese cars). I guess it's a combination of geography (rust ate them all, also we grew up in the foothills of Appalachia...domestics only!), and age (we aren't real young, but both still under 40) that we didn't know about them. Hopefully one day I'll be worthy of being a Roadster owner! Haha.
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
AltxF4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by AltxF4 »

My dad got a 67.5 for my stepmom at some point in the late 90's. Loved riding in the car, and eventually driving it. I really started to show interest in it when I moved back to Roseville from Tucson. I found out it had a H20 block in it and it was built out as a R20...now it made sense on why it would always run hot on warmer days since it had the 1600 radiator still. When my dad and stepmom got a Porche Boxter in 2004, they put the Roadster up for sale. I tried desperately to get the cash together to buy it, but I just fell way too short.

Fast forward to 2010 and my older brother buys a project 67.5, and I am mad at him! I had been looking for years since trying to find a good low windshield Roadster. My brother starts collecting parts for it (lot of random stuff...he is not a car guy), and I told him the old roadster had a 2L in it from a forklift. I told him what to buy if he wanted to have a motor like that, but also told him of the SR swap. He bit on the R20 engine, and bought the parts. Soon he lost interest, and got too busy...and I plotted!

After my brother got on a new kick for Dodge A100 Vans, he bought 2 of them. He almost sold the Roadster for work on his van, but I helped him save a lot of money on a transmission repair on his Daily Mazda 3. In return he is letting me have the Roadster in return after I sell the extra parts I won't be using that equals the amount he paid for the Roadster in the first place.

WOOT! Score for me!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

That just proves the car was meant for you from the beginning, welcome to the obscession!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
AltxF4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by AltxF4 »

I watched a whole bunch of videos on teh u toobs about body work, and that lead to watching videos on lead body work, and that lead to bead rolling custom floor pans, and that lead to....I think I am on the weird part of youtube again.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

AltxF4 wrote:I watched a whole bunch of videos on teh u toobs about body work, and that lead to watching videos on lead body work, and that lead to bead rolling custom floor pans, and that lead to....I think I am on the weird part of youtube again.
Certainly ALL roadster owners have searched "body work" on YouTube...
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Is there a part of Youtube that ISN"T weird?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

spl310 wrote:Is there a part of Youtube that ISN"T weird?
Plan on an hour or two to minimum on Youtube. Start off looking at bodywork, end up watching water skiing squirrels and wondering how you got there. Mark just called me last night, we were trying to figure out what other car part he was selling on Ebay that got me to call him about the roadster. I wasn't searching for datsun

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

In the late 70's I drove a 240-Z and modified the anything that would make it go/stop or look faster,lol. I was a Datsun enthusiast in a town of 150,000 who cared not for imports. One of my customers dropped off his wifes car while driving his orange 68' SRl 2000 and I had to have it! Made my interest known and five years later he brought it to me. That would've been 1990 or so. Had it til 2010....sold it when I moved from Missouri to Cali.
I eventually realized I missed the ol' girl and searched til I found a couple of 2000's for sale in desert area. One in Lancaster and the other in Palmdale.
I knew a roadster would put a smile back in my heart!!
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
3Gs
Roadster Nut

Post by 3Gs »

My name is Gregg and I bought a '68 2000.

It all started with my work internet distractions that lead me to bringatrailer.com. One day (only a few weeks ago) there was a posting for a ’70 roadster in driver condition; $7k in California. I’ve never seen this car before and the comments on BAT were, “so much fun for the $s”. I’ve never owned a convertible but I loved the lines; the hood scoop nails its vintage heritage. So a few beers and a MLK day off (while the wife was out of town) led me to a random Craig’s list search ‘Datsun Roadster’ there she was only posted 21 hours ago, BOOM, just up street a ’68 2000 that looked sweet, clean and in a garage that looked more finished than my first living room. My wife came home and I heard “NO”, but then I reminded her that months before she said that if I clean out the garage to fit another car I could put one there; I apologized for my veiled request for an exception to what we had already agreed to. I started to work, later that week she came back from book club on Thursday and asked me what I did, “cleaning the garage I responded”. Friday I went to the bank. She was spending Saturday with her friends, and she asked me what I had planned, “cleaning the garage” was my response to all of her other productive suggestions. The weather cleared Saturday (PO would not take it out of his heated garage even if the street was wet. I made the deal! I drove her home and [urgently] finished cleaning the garage. That night, my wife was tired after a long day with her friends and she headed to the garage fridge for a cold beer. I thought of retrieving one for her, but followed her instead. “Yep, I thought so” was her resigned response.
Last edited by 3Gs on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

3Gs wrote:It all started with my work internet distractions that lead me to bringatrailer.com. One day (only a few weeks ago) there was a posting for a ’70 roadster in driver condition; $7k in California. I’ve never seen this car before and the comments on BAT were, “so much fun for the $s”. I’ve never owned a convertible but I loved the lines; the hood scoop nails its vintage heritage. So a few beers and a MLK day off (while the wife was out of town) led me to a random Craig’s list search ‘Datusn Roadster’ there she was only posted 21 hours ago, BOOM, just up street a ’68 2000 that looked sweet, clean and in a garage that looked more finished than my first living room. My wife came home and I heard “NO”, but then I reminded her that months before she said that if I clean out the garage to fit another car I could put one there; I apologized for my veiled request for an exception to what we had already agreed to. I started to work, later that week she came back from book club on Thursday and asked me what I did, “cleaning the garage I responded”. Friday I went to the bank. She was spending Saturday with her friends, and she asked me what I had planned, “cleaning the garage” was my response to all of her other productive suggestions. The weather cleared Saturday (PO would not take it out of his heated garage even if the street was wet. I made the deal! I drove her home and [urgently] finished cleaning the garage. That night, my wife was tired after a long day with her friends and she headed to the garage fridge for a cold beer. I thought of retrieving one for her, but followed her instead. “Yep, I thought so” was her resigned response.
:wink: Always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, as they say,lol.
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Great story! Any pictures?
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

That is a great story. I think most of us married folks have surprised our significant other at least one time in our lives. Sounds like your surprise went well. Have fun with it,

S
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth