POR-15 in clear- have you used it?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

esmeby

POR-15 in clear- have you used it?

Post by esmeby »

I was looking at some POR-15, and I found that they offer a clear. I was wondering what happens to the rust color under the paint? Do you still see rust, but no more will form, or does it turn the rust white or black?
Curious also if this could be used as a clearcoat on bare metal.

Anyone use the clear?
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Oh, I so want to make a joke about BALCO right now!

The only clear POR-15 product I know of is a clearcoat for finished metal that doesn't have the rust-busting properties of traditional POR. If they have a new clear POR rust stopping product I'm not aware of it yet.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

The clear one will show what is behind. There is a metal prep solution (also from POR-15) that you are supposed to spray before applying the POR-15 coat and it will turn the rust kind of whitish. If it is intended for an exposed area where cosmetic appearance is important, prime and paint over it. But this stuff will "freeze" the rust for good. Make sure both sides of the rusted metal are coated with the POR-15.

I use many of the products they have, and my frame, undercarriage, inside of doors and fenders, floor panels, and many other rust-prone components in my resto project were treated with POR-15...and many times I had my hands, arms, and other exposed areas of my skin painted for almost a week due to POR-15. (once it dries, it will NOT come off for a long while!) :shock:

Jorge