All Gave Some - Some Gave All
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Low WS hardtop thru smoothline

Post by dbrick »

datsun1500 wrote:
Linda wrote:Can't believe that no one is jumping on this. A free smoothline top? Nice.
Linda

Where does it say free top?
Right before "The check is in the mail" :D ..But Wait there's MORE!!!

OK, back on subject.
Good deal Jackson, yes the basic body shape at the rear of the cockpit is the same, but height and shape of side windows and windshield are different, and If I remember right, the top needs to go farther forward to reach the windshield.

Woody made a carbon fiber high windshield top from a smoothline, looks awesome and weighs nothing. If he had the time and motivation he could probably make a low version if he had a sample to make the mold.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

RAD timing. Les replied to a thread on the mailing list so I asked him what the status of the hardtops is.

@jackson thanks for taking this on very interested in Smoothline's solution
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Hi All . I will be bringing my car down to Smooth Line in Pa. sometime in September for them to design a Hard Top for our Low Windshield cars . Jack from Smooth Line is looking for any info that we can give him about the difference between the High and Low windshields ( how the hard top will fit on the Roadster body ) They already have a Mold for the High Windshield and can make a Top to see how it fits on my car . I asked Sid and he believes the rear section is the same on both models . Jack was also asking if the Rake of the windshield , is it the same of both models. I told Jack i would post his questions on our 311 forum and try to find any info on this matter
Thanks in advance for your input on this
Jackson
PS . Happy to tell all my Solex Engine from car # 195 has been woken up from a very long nap and sounds great for sitting for so long
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

It is common for manufacturers to give you a free part if you go to the trouble of giving them specs, test fitting, your time etc, but I guess in this case it will be a "discount" whatever that means. :shock:

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Hi Linda , when I spoke to Jack at Smooth Line about using my car he told me that for leaving my car there while work was being done and for using my car for Photos that I would recieve a free top for my car . I hope some of our members might be able to answer some of Jack's questions that i previously posted about the Rake of the Low and High Windshields ,are they the same ? I promised Jack i would try to find out and get back to him
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Maybe it would be easier to just pull a mold off the one I have? ;-)
Mike Unger
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Alright. Now that is good customer service!
And I have to say, I am pleased that you will be receiving the top since, as a firefighter, we all owe you a tremendous debt. Thank you for your service! I am excited to see the finished product, and hope it puts a well-deserved smile on your face!
Keep us posted.

Linda 8)
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Well I have been reminded that Smoothline had some difficulties providing a correct product in the past.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... h+hard+top
But keeping that in mind, maybe this time will be better.....
Also Richard mentioned doing a mold, did it happen?
Linda
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

A few points of discussion, if I may.

1) what kind of low windshield hardtop are they making: their own design, Parrish style, OEM factory design?
Do we get to choose?

2) there has to be someone in the area with an actual low windshield hardtop they can "work from" if necessary, right?

I guess I'm confused as to why they are starting from scratch, with a car that doesn't have a top and a high windshield.

Here are some pictures of hardtops. Starting with the recent Smoothline offerings for the high windshield :
Eric Straw's
Shannon's

This is where I get really confused. Are Parrish/Smoothline the same company?
Shown below is a low windshield hardtop with "Parrish" markings on it:

It looks VERY similar to the current Smoothline high windshield hardtop! Especially the rear window. Note that the profile/rake on this low windshield top appears to be different than the high top...it appear almost "flat" from header to back window, whereas the high top has a pretty severe "bulging" to it, especailly when compare to the OEM unit:

So, if Parrish/Smoothline are the same (am I hearing that correctly?) then shouldn't they have info to make this top as shown above?

This is, from my understanding, a Nissan factory low windshield hardtop:

I saw one at Solvang last year, on a 1500:

To add more confusion to the mix, my understanding is this a Nissan factory high windshield hardtop. Looks almost identical to the low version. Also note how this top lacks the "bulging" of the Smoothline/Parrish unit:
Again, not how the profile is still even less "bulging" as the Smoothline version:

I hope this helps you, and the Smoothline folks. Personally, I would be VERY interested in a factory reproduction. Like sell my current hardtop and buy one, interested :D Poll, anyone :mrgreen:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
jacksonfdny
Site Supporter

Post by jacksonfdny »

Linda , thanks for your kind words and info on past Smooth Line Tops
Alvin , your pictures say a thouand words . After seeing your pics I completly agree with you that a factory repo whould be my first pick . With out the bulging the top looks much better. Your idea of a member poll is a great idea and might convince Smooth Line to consider a different disign than the there one for our High Windshield cars . Can you send your photos to Jack at S.L. ( smooth@smoothline.com)
I will pass this info to Jack at S.L.
Jackson F.D.N.Y. 9/11/01
67 2000 - 195
67 2000 - 225
richard

Post by richard »

@Alvin; You mean like this?
I am busy to make "factory"hardtops, with anti scratch polycarbonate glue in clear windows (super light in weight and no more ugly rubbers)
also busy with the needed clamps, rubbers etc.
http://www.datsunroadster.nl/onderdelen

sfdaugherty

Post by sfdaugherty »

I've been reading this and previous threads about Smoothline on the forum. Since Alvin has posted photos of my top, I thought I should let people know what my experience with Smoothline has been.

I ordered my top with the "carbon fiber look" so that I could use it with any of my cars and the color would be neutral (I think the cost was around $1700). The carbon fiber is actually just a vinyl product not real carbon fiber like Woody's. I only use the top when transporting the car to shows. Smoothline told me that they remove the side drip rails to install the carbon fiber and I was OK with that. One of my roadster friends purchased a Smoothline a year or so before I ordered mine with black vinyl and it has delaminated around the drip rails so getting rid of them was good.

1. Manufacturing the top took several months . . . don't been in a hurry;
2. My top was sent to the wrong address. The customer who received it repackaged it and another carrier delivered it to me. Unfortunately the new carrier treated it roughly and the top came to me sticking out of the box and had some damage to the carbon fiber. I contacted Smoothline and they told me I should have refused the package and, since I didn't, it was my misfortune. I filed a claim with the shipping company and received a small (very small) settlement from them.
3. My first trip with my new top was to Solvang. I trailered the car. During the trip, one of the side brackets (behind the door) broke free from the top. Upon my return home, I called Smoothline and told them. They said they had recently changed their process from fiberglassing the side brackets on to using a "rubber cement". They advised me to repair it using super glue. After removing the molding and interior material, I glued the bracket back on. I was skeptical of the repair.
4. My second trip was to the Williams show. I drove the 350 miles (each way) this time. During the trip BOTH rear brackets broke and the vinyl started to delaminate and "balloon" as I drove. At this point, I'll note that the front brackets provided by Smoothline are just bent rod which wrap around the existing top brackets on the car. During the drive, these rods started to "walk" and I became very concerned that they would eventually slide off the windshield brackets (they only attach to the two outer brackets on the car). By the time I reached Gallup New Mexico, I feared that the vinyl would completely rip off the car but, more importantly, I might actually lose the entire top. I had to put it in a friends truck bed for the remainder of the trip to Williams and had a VERY cold trip from Williams home.
5. My repair this time was to again remove all the molding and interior fabric around the brackets and this time I removed the melted rubber cement and re-attached the brackets using fiberglass. I also took a set of factory soft top brackets and welded a plate to them and attached to my own threaded rod so that the top would be properly secured to the car brackets. I can send photos of this if anyone is interested.
6. My third trip with my Smoothline was another trailered trip to Solvang. During the trip, my front and side brackets held up well but the top continued to delaminate and I ended up putting clips to hold the vinyl on the car during the drive. I didn't have the hardtop on the car during the show because it looked terrible.
7. Upon my return home, I ripped the vinyl "carbon fiber" off the top. I will now paint the hardtop to match my blue car. I had to order all new molding for the repair (it was getting tired of being removed) and a new window because I had accidentally sprayed some vinyl adhesive on it during one of my repairs. I decided this was the time to replace it and I would keep my old as a spare. The cost of the parts $480 (doesn't count the body work and painting I will be doing this fall).

My observations:

1) The Smoothline is lighter than my other hardtops and, as a result, is much more flexible. You will need two people to install it because it will bend unlike the older tops I have that I can handle by myself. I ended up purchasing a winch so I can lower it on my cars from the ceiling;
2) The Smoothline is quieter and better insulated than my older tops;
3) I would not recommend having any kind of vinyl installed. I think the tops painted to match the car look better anyway;
4) I would ask Smoothline during this low windshield development phase to fiberglass in the rear brackets (like they used to). The rubber cement doesn't work;
5) Make sure that the front brackets are sturdy or make your own;
6) Once you buy it . . . you are on your own.
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
devo
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

richard wrote:@Alvin; You mean like this?
I am busy to make "factory"hardtops, with anti scratch polycarbonate glue in clear windows (super light in weight and no more ugly rubbers)
also busy with the needed clamps, rubbers etc.
http://www.datsunroadster.nl/onderdelen

That is a great looking top, Richard! When will they be for sale?
Dat is een fantastische hardtop, Richard! Wanneer zullen ze te koop?
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Schwing!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon