General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Steering box fit

Post by Conner »

Anyone have a systematic method for installing a steering box onto the frame? I know how it is supposed to fit, but am having a very hard time getting it in/on there. It is a very tight fit, like a frustrating jigsaw puzzle where all the pieces are freshly painted. :evil:
Is it easier to come in from below or above? Should I turn the yoke all the way to one side or something? Or do I just need to keep trying different ways until I get it in?
Just looking for some guidance from someone who has struggled with this before. Thanks.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Wrenchands

Frustrating

Post by Wrenchands »

Andy,

I can't help but laugh. I tore my lady down to a bar frame, sandblasted, primed, and painted in my garage. When it came time to put the steering box back in.....same problem the damn thing would not fit. Really started to tick me off when I was scratching the new paint :twisted:

You need to turn it all the way to one direction, sorry can't remember which, and come in from the bottom. Good luck, and you may even come up with some new swear words. I did :x
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by itsa68 »

Andy:
Its going to be interesting to read the descriptive notes on your web site for this one!
If you could, please include pics of the box orientation used to get it in place.
Keep up the good work!
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

I think this is probably just a rite of passage and can't help but think there is a big group of Japanese engineers laughing at us right now. I'll get it.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

Mine went on pretty easy. Although, I had removed the arm that connects the box to the tie rod. Removing that was a job in itself. And I think I came in from the top?

Kyle
garth
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by garth »

Have not re-installed mine yet however judging by the removal effort, its going to be difficult. Had to remove the swing arm off the lower shaft otherwise the steering box could not be removed. The steering and idler boxes were by far the most difficult components for me to remove from the frame.

Yes, there has to be some Japanese engineers/designers laughing over this design somewhere. It seems obvious they did not consider ease of assembly or replacement of the boxes a priority. Maybe they knew those maintaining these cars who have to be both resourceful and ingenious or stubborn?
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

I was able to remove both without removing the yolk from either (swing arms). I do remember it was a bit tricky. I did that because I couldn't get the yolks off.

I'm going out of town tomorrow, actually going to be in the Bay area. Hopefully when I return the little elves that do the majority of the work on my roadster will have the steering box and idler box installed.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
TR

Post by TR »

SF Bay Area? Come by for a visit! TR
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Too late--I'm already back!
I did sight a black roadster, top-up, heading northeast on Crow Canyon Road between Hayward and San Ramon on Tuesday a bit after 5:00 PM. Anybody?
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633