67 1600, whats a fair price?

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Re: 67 1600, whats a fair price?

Post by kevbo82 »

datsunroadster wrote:Thats a nice 1967 Datsun for only $2k! Thats a steal in my opinion. Sometimes when someone offers you a deal, you just have to take it. Otherwise you start to make excuses and delegate blame to make yourself feel better. The saying "if you snooze you loose" comes to mind. The fact that it might be an original red car makes it even better in my opinion. I've never looked at a car and started peeling paint off of it, even if it was a complete toilet. Thats disrespectful. You might want to think twice about doing that again before you come across the right person who will handle that quickly. Also, you drove an hour and a half and didnt have the cash to buy it?? Sounds sketchy. Sounds like sour grapes coming from a tire kicker. Just saying.
Wow, did I do something to offend you!? lol Lets just clear up a few things. I did have cash, never said I didn't. I didn't go at the car with a paint scraper, like I said I ran my hand along the underside of the rocker to feel for rust bubbles and my fingers caught the peeling paint and a big piece of the loose paint came off. I don't think that was disrespectful, however I do think the owner making arrangements with me to come see the car, then arrangements with someone else to come pick up the car, all without telling either of us, and still offering me the car while he knew he had someone else on the way to get it was pretty disrespectful, but after seeing the car I knew I didn't want it, so I didn't worry about it.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

in
getting popcorn now
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

:lol:
Alvin wrote:in
getting popcorn now
ted heaton
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ted heaton »

datsunroadster wrote:Thats a nice 1967 Datsun for only $2k! Thats a steal in my opinion. Sometimes when someone offers you a deal, you just have to take it. Otherwise you start to make excuses and delegate blame to make yourself feel better. The saying "if you snooze you loose" comes to mind. The fact that it might be an original red car makes it even better in my opinion. I've never looked at a car and started peeling paint off of it, even if it was a complete toilet. Thats disrespectful. You might want to think twice about doing that again before you come across the right person who will handle that quickly. Also, you drove an hour and a half and didnt have the cash to buy it?? Sounds sketchy. Sounds like sour grapes coming from a tire kicker. Just saying.
Interesting first post for a "newbie".
Maybe you meant to signup for the "RATSUN" forum?
You will find 311s members much more calm and reserved but not a good start.

Ted.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Like I said "that car and $10,000 and you can have $9,000 driver"
I don't know what area you are located, but our cars have increased in value.
Its getting harder and harder to find complete project starters.
Many of us end up buying two or more to get all the necessary parts.

As always, buy the best you can afford.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

fj20spl311 wrote:Like I said "that car and $10,000 and you can have $9,000 driver"
I don't know what area you are located, but our cars have increased in value.
Its getting harder and harder to find complete project starters.
Many of us end up buying two or more to get all the necessary parts.

As always, buy the best you can afford.
yeah, east coast Pennsylvania. So we've got overpriced rust on everything lol
I always loved the Datsun roadsters, and the Z cars. Z's have gone way up in price now, so I was focused more on getting a roadster before they get out of control price wise. I have a weekend autocross car thats built just to autocross, so I wanted something that was more of a sunny day weekend cruiser, and a drop top is a better answer to that than a Z anyway
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

We all hope you find a car that you can make over into a car of your dreams!
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

A finger?
Ted brings a hammer to an eval :shock:
I agree with Phil, the good project cars have tripled in cost over the last few years, and may continue to climb.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
datsunroadster
Roadster Newby

Post by datsunroadster »

kevbo82 wrote:
Wow, did I do something to offend you!? lol Lets just clear up a few things. I did have cash, never said I didn't. I didn't go at the car with a paint scraper, like I said I ran my hand along the underside of the rocker to feel for rust bubbles and my fingers caught the peeling paint and a big piece of the loose paint came off. I don't think that was disrespectful, however I do think the owner making arrangements with me to come see the car, then arrangements with someone else to come pick up the car, all without telling either of us, and still offering me the car while he knew he had someone else on the way to get it was pretty disrespectful, but after seeing the car I knew I didn't want it, so I didn't worry about it.
My bad. It just sounded suspect to me. When you said you might go see it. Then you said you went and saw it, but the owner happened to be there. For me, that didn't sound right. I would think if i were driving an hour and half to possibly buy a car that the owner would definitely be there not happened to be there. I guess I wasn't factoring a shady owner. That's why it sounded fishy to me. Again, my bad on how I perceived your statements and maybe that the seller wasn't a man of his word.Best of luck on your search!
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

yeah, that was the arrangement with the seller. He had towed the car to his mechanics, told me to go there and meet the mechanic to look at it then call him, but when I arrived the owner was already there. I shook his hand and introduced myself and the first thing he said to me was "better hurry up and look at it, someones on their way with a trailer. but if you have cash money talks" He was an older guy, so either he didn't want to deal with any crap and just wanted to get it sold (I also blame his age for his rust description. I don't think at his age he bothered to get down on the ground and look under the car) or maybe he wanted two guys there at the same time to start a bidding war...?
datsunroadster
Roadster Newby

Post by datsunroadster »

kevbo82 wrote:yeah, that was the arrangement with the seller. He had towed the car to his mechanics, told me to go there and meet the mechanic to look at it then call him, but when I arrived the owner was already there. I shook his hand and introduced myself and the first thing he said to me was "better hurry up and look at it, someones on their way with a trailer. but if you have cash money talks" He was an older guy, so either he didn't want to deal with any crap and just wanted to get it sold (I also blame his age for his rust description. I don't think at his age he bothered to get down on the ground and look under the car) or maybe he wanted two guys there at the same time to start a bidding war...?
I sell and buy a good amount of classic cars. Unfortunately, its hard to find people of their word on both sides. That trailor guy would have been livid! It would still have beenhard for me to pass up the 1600 even at 2k. To me, I'd still value it as a project worth 4-6k. Sorry for getting off on the wrong foot with you. Afain, best of luck!
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
datsunfreak
Roadster Fanatic

Post by datsunfreak »

kevbo82 wrote:I shook his hand and introduced myself and the first thing he said to me was "better hurry up and look at it, someones on their way with a trailer. but if you have cash money talks" He was an older guy, so either he didn't want to deal with any crap and just wanted to get it sold or maybe he wanted two guys there at the same time to start a bidding war...?
Having been on the selling end of that situation, sometimes it just works out that way, even if you don;t want it to. Craigslist has so many flakes that if I have 2 or 3 guys tell me "I'm on the way", I say okay. Because 99.9% of the time, only one (or none) will actually show up. One time two showed up. One was happy, one was pissed. But I didn't plan it that way...

I will offer caveats to anyone coming from really far away that they should either wait until the location guy is done looking at it, or roll the dice and take a chance.
1968 SRL311 project under way...
Chucks66
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Chucks66 »

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252391203660
It's up for sale again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck Grohs
1967.5 SRL 311 #00148 Unholy Grail
1967 Nissan Patrol #L60 10218 Old Man
2014 Ford F250 Platinum 4 door 4x4
2009 Tahoe
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Ah, it's found its way into the hands of a flipper. God bless capitalism. :lol:
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA