67 1600, whats a fair price?

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

kevbo82
Roadster Newby

67 1600, whats a fair price?

Post by kevbo82 »

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking around here reading up and learning about the Datsun's for a while with the plan of buying a project for myself "when the time is right" which was probably another year or two away, until I found one for sale locally that has caught my attention and I thought I would ask what some members here think MIGHT be a good fair price for the car. These photos are all I have, and this story...
The current owner of the car owned a storage facility, a little old lady brought in her Datsun roadster that she was no longer driving and put it into an indoor storage unit she rented from him. The car stayed right there for somewhere around 10 years, then the woman became ill, signed the title over to the man who owned the storage facility, and she then passed away. He took the car out (so he could rent the unit) and left it parked outside with the boats for somewhere around a year. He's now sold the business and needs to sell the car. He pulled the car down the street with his truck to his mechanics and have him give it a once over, and maybe check if he thinks the engine is seized, or any other major problems to know about. The car currently sits there and I'll be going out to take a look and speak with the mechanic. So the car hasn't run in 10 plus years, has sat outside for around a year, and when I asked him if there was any rust he would mention he told me "absolutely not. I think the floor might be a little rusty but nothing else" we'll see what his idea of a little rusty is when I got take a look...He's asking $2000, based on these photos and that little bit of info does anyone have an opinion? Without seeing it i'm feeling more like $1500 based on what clean running driving cars bring.

bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: 67 1600, whats a fair price?

Post by bakerjf »

A complete, almost rust-free '67 1600 for $2k is ridiculously cheap. Jump on it before he starts studying the market and jacks the price by 2x!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

bakerjf wrote:A complete, almost rust-free '67 1600 for $2k is ridiculously cheap. Jump on it before he starts studying the market and jacks the price by 2x!
+1
it's too late
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
muck
Roadster Nut

Post by muck »

Id have given the $2k just from seeing those pictures. :o :o
'67 Datsun Roadster 1600
'68 Datsun 510
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

It have surface rust for sure. Structural rust, you will have to look more closely.
It looks like one of the doors has been repainted. One of the front fenders looks to be a large flair and the other not.
Some things are hard to tell. As far as value, I paid $1200 for a none running 67.5 with rust because we needed many of the 67.5 only parts. It was in much worse condition.

That car and $10,000 you can have a $9000 driver.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

fj20spl311 wrote:It have surface rust for sure. Structural rust, you will have to look more closely.
It looks like one of the doors has been repainted. One of the front fenders looks to be a large flair and the other not.
Some things are hard to tell. As far as value, I paid $1200 for a none running 67.5 with rust because we needed many of the 67.5 only parts. It was in much worse condition.

That car and $10,000 you can have a $9000 driver.
I noticed the door color as well. Didn't notice the fender flare though, drivers side does look like the larger/later one. Maybe had an accident on that side...
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to make the drive tomorrow to look in person. I'll take some more photos and let you know what I find
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Check for rust around the cowl where the windshield attaches. The frame is pretty rusted.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

I passed on the car. The owner happened to be there when I arrived this morning, and said someone was on the way with a trailer to pick the car up (thanks for letting me know since it was an hour and a half drive!) but if I had cash I could buy it before he arrived (thanks for letting him know!) first thing I did was get down and look at the underside of the rockers. Rust bubbles. I then ran my finger under there and caught the "edge" of the paint, and easily peeled a 3" chunk of paint off reveling the original red GLOSSY paint under it. If thats how this car was prepped for a repaint i'm amazed the white paint is still on it! So it's been repainted and I see paint bubbles, enough to make me consider walking, then I put my finger through the frame :smt006 I thanked for his time and went home. The rust was pretty widespread around the car, down in the cowl vent everything was rotten, the floors, etc. I didn't even get into the trunk... The guy with the trailer must've bought it though because the ad has been deleted.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Was the car advertised?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

Linda wrote:Was the car advertised?
Linda
It was on craigslist. No photos on craigslist. Basically just said 1967 Datsun 1600 roadster, pictures available upon request. $2000 with a phone number
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

There is software that checks every Craigslist listing. When the pictures you post match a listing then a buyer is on his way. :shock: "Too late" as Alvin said. :|
But at least in this case you did not really want the car after all.
Good luck with your next potential buy, hope you get a car you like.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
kevbo82
Roadster Newby

Post by kevbo82 »

there were no pictures with the listing to match. I had to get the pictures emailed to me from the seller. But yeah, in the end, that frame and firewall alone looked so rusty from the 5 minutes I spent looking at it, it might have been more of a parts car at this point honestly. Interior wasn't anything to write home about either
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

I guess it's only worth the $2k then.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
datsunroadster
Roadster Newby

Post by datsunroadster »

Thats a nice 1967 Datsun for only $2k! Thats a steal in my opinion. Sometimes when someone offers you a deal, you just have to take it. Otherwise you start to make excuses and delegate blame to make yourself feel better. The saying "if you snooze you loose" comes to mind. The fact that it might be an original red car makes it even better in my opinion. I've never looked at a car and started peeling paint off of it, even if it was a complete toilet. Thats disrespectful. You might want to think twice about doing that again before you come across the right person who will handle that quickly. Also, you drove an hour and a half and didnt have the cash to buy it?? Sounds sketchy. Sounds like sour grapes coming from a tire kicker. Just saying.