General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Partial restoration of my 1968 1600

Post by C.Costine »

PBJ wrote:
C.Costine wrote:
I often change up what phase I work on to keep it interesting. My current favorite paint removal weapon is a coarse, around #40, flap wheel.
Something like this?
image.jpeg
I've used flap discs, but never flap wheels, I was afraid it would be as hard on the metal as a flap disc is.

I've been using poly carbide discs, which work well but don't last very long.
image.jpeg
No the flaps are horizontal, or mounted at 90 degrees to the one that you show. I also tried the poly carbide strippers but found as you did that they were expensive to use.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
orangedawg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by orangedawg »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gnob
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gnob »

For the $$$ the HF discs and flappers suuuck.
I've been using dewalt stuff. Significant longevity diff
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

gnob wrote:For the $$$ the HF discs and flappers suuuck.
I've been using dewalt stuff. Significant longevity diff
I tried on of the poly carbide discs from dewalt and didn't notice a big difference so I've been using up the $3 version from Harbor Freight instead of the $7 version from Home Depot. I do agree for cutoff wheels and flap discs though, there is a significant difference with those. Have you noticed a difference with the Poly discs? Is there a specific grit or anything, maybe I missed something

I have always liked the flap disc for metal work but I've been apprehensive to use it for paint removal, it'll definitely take metal off quick if you aren't careful
Last edited by PBJ on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
1968 1600 - Frame-on restoration.
1970 VW Bug - Long Course Offroad car in Class 11 build configuration
1995 BMW 318ti - Short course Rallyx Car with s50 M3 swap
2006 Subaru WRX - Daily driver and occasional Ice Racer.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Have you guys tried Aircraft paint remover? That stuff will melt paint right off. I sprayed the entire bed of my truck with it, and hosed all the paint right off.

If you go that route, WEAR GLOVES!
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

Mainer311 wrote:Have you guys tried Aircraft paint remover? That stuff will melt paint right off. I sprayed the entire bed of my truck with it, and hosed all the paint right off.

If you go that route, WEAR GLOVES!
I've used that, but this thing had so much bondo that I don't really think it would work. I have been joking with my shop mates that whoever did bodywork on this car was trying to scale it up to a larger size!
Josh
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

Today my mom was visiting from Pennsylvania and she wanted to do a little work on the Datsun. She wasn't messing around either!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We removed the rest of the original fender and started working on patch steel for the rusty areas.

I now have an Eastwood shrinker/stretcher as well as forming dies for the bead roller. So I figured we could make something work.

We took some time finding the shape with paper and a pencil then moved on to tracing paterns onto some sheet metal. I am using 20g cold rolled for this stuff, it seems to match what's in the car.

With the paterns made we rolled a lip, rolled a flare then used a hammer and dolley to fold over the lip the rest of the way.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The car now has quite a few patch panels made, I really need to start cutting and fitting them!

I'll be racing the next weekend or two but I'm really excited to get these panels fit and welded
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
JohnnyMac
Site Supporter

Post by JohnnyMac »

Too cool. Just think of all the things you could get her for Mother's Day!
John

SRL311-05287
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

JohnnyMac wrote:Too cool. Just think of all the things you could get her for Mother's Day!
My mom loves trying new things and this is definitely one of them. I have actually driven a tank with my mom in the past so she is pretty adventurous!
Josh
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

Well, before my mom left she did two things, first, she helped repair the race car...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Second she got me a birthday present! Looks like I have a lot to learn!
image.jpeg
Josh
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

The poly discs wear very well if you use light pressure and stay away from sharp edges. FWIW Pat
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

PBJ wrote:Well, before my mom left she did two things, first, she helped repair the race car...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Second she got me a birthday present! Looks like I have a lot to learn!

image.jpeg
You definitely have a very cool and good looking mom. We now know that you are a very young fellow among us mostly old guys. I have gotten flap wheels from multiple places including the welding supply. That is all they use for cleaning metal on their industrial work. I don't see much difference one brand to another. And of course there is a wide range of grit just as in sandpaper.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

The flaps wheels can be made of alumina oxide (usually brown color), zirconia (usually blue/green) or ceramic (red/orange). The alumina oxide are best for mild steel, zirconia take down welds faster and wear longer, ceramic last the longest and are best for alloys. Hogging down hard on any of them develops excessive heat and cause them to prematurely wear. FWIW Pat
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

dynaguy wrote:The poly discs wear very well if you use light pressure and stay away from sharp edges. FWIW Pat
I think it has a lot to do with the sheer amount of bondo that I am going through right now on this car. Though I am hopefully that I have gotten through the bulk of it at this point... time will tell.
C.Costine wrote: You definitely have a very cool and good looking mom. We now know that you are a very young fellow among us mostly old guys. I have gotten flap wheels from multiple places including the welding supply. That is all they use for cleaning metal on their industrial work. I don't see much difference one brand to another. And of course there is a wide range of grit just as in sandpaper.
Well, young is certainly based on your perspective. I'm seeing that 40 mark come up very soon!

I have a stock of #40 flap paddles that I use for metal forming fairly regularly and they hold up nicely to that type of work. I am apprehensive to use them for paint removal... I need something that won't go through the metal if my mind wanders off to another place.
dynaguy wrote:The flaps wheels can be made of alumina oxide (usually brown color), zirconia (usually blue/green) or ceramic (red/orange). The alumina oxide are best for mild steel, zirconia take down welds faster and wear longer, ceramic last the longest and are best for alloys. Hogging down hard on any of them develops excessive heat and cause them to prematurely wear. FWIW Pat
I am pretty sure I have mostly had blue and brown and mostly used them for cleaning up the edges of metal I have cut and light metal shaping as well. Thanks for the info!
Josh
PBJ
Roadster Fanatic

Post by PBJ »

I had a little help today from a good friend. It was time to start cutting in and welding these patch panels that I have been making. I cleaned up the welder and got started.

The first part I tackled today was the rear passenger fender patch. I made this part with my mom a few days ago and had to get it in the car. I made the cuts and did a bit of fitting otherwise before tacking it in place.
image.jpeg
Once it was all ready I welded the rest of it and put a touch of primer on there. I am very pleased with how this came out. It is still very visible as a patch (to me at least) but for the inner fender I think it looks great.
image.jpeg
We moved on to the A pillar, I made this piece a long time ago, but finally actually welded it in.
image.jpeg
Once welded I threw some primer on
image.jpeg
Today was a short day. But I feel like a good amount was accomplished. I still need to fit the footwell panel. That will be next time.
Josh