Weatherstripping

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nking79

Weatherstripping

Post by nking79 »

I have to replace the weatherstripping around the doors and trunk. What do i need to pick up and how do I get it to stick to the car?
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Trunk is easy.....If your local Nissan dealer don't have it, the vendors do. As for the door weatherstripping, vendors or use something close from McMasters or JC Witless.

Cheers.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Too intense restoration on eBay just listed a LOT of weatherstripping.... i thought it was a little expensive but they only sell nissan/datsun stuff
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

I have weatherstrip available, It is also available from Sports Imports and Datsunparts. I have instruction pages on my web space which explains how to install the weatherstrip. Here is the link to the webpage for trunk weatherstrip: It is an excellent product that has less compression set than EPDM type of weatherstrips.

http://www.softcom.net/users/gmagana/tr ... /index.htm

If you have any questions please ask, this item was a prototype and had one final revision since the creation of the instruction sheet. The item is available for 40.00 plus shipping This item is made from Santoprene. I have more information if you need to know more.
Thanks, Gerardo
BTW, I also only sell Nissan/ Datsun stuff!!
Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Ummm... I checked out your site that has the trunk-weatherstripping and there are a number of problems. 1st. The weatherstripping doesn't look like it has the correct shape for what Datsun put out originally? Do you have any better pictures of the weatherstrip so I can compare to my original weatherstripping? 2nd, you put it on the wrong place. It belongs on the trunk lid itself, not the trunk lip on the body. If this is for a daily driver, you are begging for dirt and other junk to be trapped on the body area and rust out a car already prone to rust. (And yes, I have seen weatherstrips installed like yours is and the car was a rusted out hulk) If this is used on a showcar, you're bound to lose because anyone who knows Datsun Roadsters knows that the weatherstrip is in the wrong spot.

When you build "correct" weatherstrips, I might be interested. Good luck!
Eric
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Eric is right about the location of the weatherstrip. I know that some folks have advocated putting the weatherstrip on the body, but based on the cars that I have seen, that is a VERY bad idea. If it is there, it WILL trap dirt and water causing rust. If you check modern cars that have the weatherstrip on the body, they have a pinch on weatherstrip that is clipped to the lip of the gutter. That way, it will not hold water and cause rust.

That all having been said, it looks like you did not go through all the pics Eric. I am on dial up, so this is taking forever to load, but it appears that this weatherstrip is being glued to the trunk lid, not the gutter.

Whichever weatherstrip you use folks, put it on the lid. Your car will be happier that you did...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Eric F

Post by Eric F »

spl310 wrote:Eric is right about the location of the weatherstrip. I know that some folks have advocated putting the weatherstrip on the body, but based on the cars that I have seen, that is a VERY bad idea. If it is there, it WILL trap dirt and water causing rust. If you check modern cars that have the weatherstrip on the body, they have a pinch on weatherstrip that is clipped to the lip of the gutter. That way, it will not hold water and cause rust.

That all having been said, it looks like you did not go through all the pics Eric. I am on dial up, so this is taking forever to load, but it appears that this weatherstrip is being glued to the trunk lid, not the gutter.

Whichever weatherstrip you use folks, put it on the lid. Your car will be happier that you did...
Yeah, I saw that it was on the part sticking up, not in the actual gutter... A similar setup was done to that rusted hulk I mentioned earlier. You should have seen the crap that was trapped in there though and the weatherstrip was also holding water too. I don't know what this Santoprene stuff would do though, but if it holds the dirt and crap in that gutter, write the car off! I've seen other rusted out hulks with the trunk fairly intact...but the weatherstrip was on the trunk lid. Still, if I'm going for originality, I want parts that keep my car as original as I want it. Personally, I've never liked the trunk weatherstrip on the body even on modern cars because you can't put a damn thing in the trunk without destroying the weatherstrip... but maybe that's why some parts venders like that, so they can sell more weatherstrip in a few years. ah, now I understand...

Eric
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

I concur with Mark's statement. If you sell products as a proffesion, it is inpolitic to offer those items on this forum. A car hobbist can offer items to other hobbists, but once you've made the leap to vendor, the tabboo is in effect.

On my other Datsun forum, classicZcar.com, we allow no vendor postings at all, unles they #1 support the site - in which they get a link banner on the top of the page AND #2 limit their postings to the vendor specific forum created for them. It works well. A few years back, I would get 3 or four "Commercial Posting" reports/compliants, Now, compliance is followed pretty closely

Endorsements are also not really wellcome. if someone is looking for a part - it's best to say "Our Vendors offer these" Than soandsoladyparts has these for sale. And NEVER soandsoladyparts are better than suchandsuchdatsunparts.
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Vendor Posting

Post by S Allen »

I sent Gerardo a PM.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

Hello Eric, Fair questions, let me tackle these 1 at a time.
First of all this is a posting for the installation of the weatherstrip and not for soliciting to sell this item. I have purchased this item from another vendor and it works better than the factory replacement.
1. The weatherstrip prototype that I recieved has the correct shape as compared to the original Nissan weatherstrip. The factory replacement was poor at best and most people were so frustrated the put it on the body in the rain gutters instead of the deck lid, you may be seein a difference in product because of that. Trust me the original style is far better than the factory replacement as it fits correctly.
2. The weatherstrip is layed flat on the lips of the body with the surface that is going to meet the body down(the side that compresses and has a hollow core). This is to line up the weatherstrip on the lips correctly. The glue is placed on top, not on the bottom of the weatherstrip so that when you close the trunk the weatherstrip glues itself via pressure to the trunk lid and ends up in the correct place. I am very well aware of how this is supposed to be installed as I do also restore show car's, please refer to pictures 18, 19 20, 21, 22 and 23 you will see the glue on top not on the bottom and that the trunk closes down on the glue and that the glue is in no way placed onto the trunk lip. The final picture shows the weatherstrip on the deck lid itself. If that is the wrong spot for the weatherstrip please let me know where you beleive it is supposed to go your input would be greatly appreciated by all of us here on the list.

Thanks, Gerardo
gmagana

Post by gmagana »

I would like to apologize to all of you for my plugs to this forum. I was not aware of the rule that is in place. Steve and Matt have sent me emails and I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused some of you. I will remember to post in the Vendors section for items that I have for sale.
Thanks for your comments.
Gerardo
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Weather Stripping and Ugly Things

Post by S Allen »

Okay, enough already. Gerardo will no longer post plugs in the general forum area. Vendors section only. Let's keep things that have happened in the past in the past. If you have a problem with someone or something please email the person privately. If you need to get me involved let me know because I have an actual job and cannot be watching all of the time. Extra eyes are much appreciated. Let's accept Gerardo's apology and move on. Thanks!!

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth