?? about U20s

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

?? about U20s

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

Are U20s interference motors or non?? My chain is making a little noise...
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

Very few 8 valve engines are an interference design. Especially ones with vertical valves.

Typically the 16 valve and "hemi" heads are interference.
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

But if your chain cuts loose, you'll likely have bigger problems than bent valves... :shock:
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Yes! Nice holes in the pistons, bent valves, a big ole hole in the valve cover, possible bent rods. all in an instant, long before you even determine something has gone wrong - splat!

Yea timming components are expensive - the alternative is far more. Don't skimp - buy the whole package
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

The good news is that a U20 will tell you that its considering blowing up on you. All you have to do is listen. If something sounds different, or not right, do some looking and you will figure it out nine times out of ten.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
reblues
Site Supporter

Post by reblues »

Yes the U20 is an interference engine.

Richard
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Okay, I'll admit ignorance; what the heck is an interference engine? :?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

now, if i say something wrong someone please correct it..... its were if your car jumps timing the valves wont hit each other and/or the pistons
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

In an interferince engine, Like the U-20, the valves open to a level below the top stroke of the engine. When you lose the timing, the cam stops but the crank does not. Two or more valves will be open to a level where the piston will hit them when it rises to TDC, resulting in a bent valve, a holed piston or possible other expensive nastiness
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Enough theory, actual practice. Early and isolated in roadsterville! Sloppy chain and devil may care treatment. Chain jumps teeth and valves hit the pistons. No more compression, no more go but no big explosion. I think the angle of the valves in relationship to the pistons kept the damage down. Replaced the bent and sloppy stuff and happy roadstering again!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I used to love Volvo diesels, rubber timing belt, straight up valves and overhead cam with no rocker arms. Belt breaks, cam stops piston hits valve, cam shaft snaps and/or goes straight up along with the bearing caps. Connecting rods bend, occasional broken crank or sunroof in the piston. Big money.
I keep the #1 piston from my Fiat X 1/9 as a reminder to maintain things. It has a 1" x 1 1/2" hole in the top from the timing belt jumping and then breaking at 4000 rpm.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

The VW FWD 8V engine is similar, but totally non interference. I had a timing belt tensioner explode at 6500rpm on my '86 GTI. Bought a new belt and tensioner and went on my way again... 8)