Steering Linkage

Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Steering Linkage

Post by aspitfire »

fj20spl311 wrote:FYI, this set-up is very cool, but introduces an addition adjustment/measurement necessary in your steering geometry.

Your should check the Ackerman. Changing the ratio of the side rods to the center rod will change it.
This is correct, these will allow for the side arms to be adjustable. My alignment guy prefers this as he can fine tweak my alignment depending on my needs. Thanks for the info on the Ackerman, always learning!
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Sorry,
Your alignment guy is wrong.....its very important that both side arms are the same length...
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

fj20spl311 wrote:Sorry,
Your alignment guy is wrong.....its very important that both side arms are the same length...
Why wouldn't they be the same length? Both sides are adjustable. I guess I am confused as to how this is any different than any modern tie rod that is adjustable as well.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

On a rack and pinion set up, both ends of the rods move the same amount as the wheel is turned.
Our set-up is much more complex. The pinion arm and idler arm connections..rod ends.. are "clocked" at different angles. As the wheel is turned the connections move through an arc and the leverage is continually changing. Only when the timing of the two arms are mirror images will the increase or decrease of the rod movement be the same when turning left or right. If the clocking is different on the steering arm and the idler arm you will get different amounts of Ackerman turning left from turning right......If you make a paper model and change the clocking to an extreme on one side, you can measure / visualize this.

Its my experience that its very easy to end up with rods of different lengths when adjusting them on the car even if they are set to the same length before installing.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

Appreciate the knowledge