Unwarping door panel boards

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

kndroy
Roadster Nut

Unwarping door panel boards

Post by kndroy »

Any ideas on how to take the warp out of my door panels? I will probably have to remove the vinyl first but would prefer not to. I know I could replace but would like to try to salvage the originals because they are still decent. I was thinking of soaking them then placing something on top until they dry.

Thanks.
Dave
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Unwarping door panel boards

Post by notoptoy »

Worth a try, but it seems that the integrity of them has been compromised. Lots of people have replaced with more rugged materials.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

I don't know about soaking the originals, one of mine is original the other is not.
The one that is not fell apart from getting too wet.

Unfortunately I did not do such a good job of lining up the holes on the new one, so I will need to make another someday
if I care about a pristine fit. At the moment, I'm more concerned about other things

Oh well
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
kndroy
Roadster Nut

Post by kndroy »

The more I think about this the more I think it's two things that happened; The board became wet and the vinyl shrank. I think I may be out of luck but I will try to spay the vinyl with vinyl conditioner, wet the board and flatten with heavy object outside on the concrete. Thanks for the help.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

kndroy wrote:The more I think about this the more I think it's two things that happened; The board became wet and the vinyl shrank. I think I may be out of luck but I will try to spay the vinyl with vinyl conditioner, wet the board and flatten with heavy object outside on the concrete. Thanks for the help.
Roy how about just adding another attach point or two to pull the high place back in? just use a 3/4 or so hole saw in the door and in the panel. You could use a very small drill bit or very sharp awl to go through the panel to mark the inner door skin.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
kndroy
Roadster Nut

Post by kndroy »

The boards are pretty stiff and the smaller panels are also warped and very stiff. It would put a great deal of pressure on those tiny screws and I don't want to add more holes.

On a side note, I'm not sure if they originally used clips or screws on the door panels. I have two identical vehicles (1967 early 1600) I see both types being used. If they originally used clips it they definitely would not hold up to the warping.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

clips were original.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon