Petronix install how to?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Petronix install how to?

Post by andyroo »

notoptoy wrote:The dizzie should be grounded from the block. I believe the ground for the pertronix comes from the breaker plate. I do not believe you need a separate ground outside of the little one for the breaker plate.
That's what I meant to say. The ground wire from the pertronix plate in the dizzy goes somwhere...just can't remember where.
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
Dcyco1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Dcyco1 »

So here is my main question about bypassing resistor, what happens to those wires? Is one side or the other connected to coil or are they joined together and then connected to coil? I don't have clear picture on how to bypass resistor. I have the wiring diagram and I'm not sure what is the correct wiring. I have already blown fuse since I obviously used the wrong wires.
1969 Datsun 2000
1996 WS6 Trans Am
2016 Maxima SR
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Dcyco1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Dcyco1 »

Thanks David!!
1969 Datsun 2000
1996 WS6 Trans Am
2016 Maxima SR
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

Yeah I'm fairly sure I connected two wires together to bypass the resistor.
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

ME, Thanks Bill Cole for the ratsun link in the "Stranded" thread. :smt006
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 111jag »

So I'm installing a Pertronix on my early 67. The wires are a bit different. I have an ignition black/white wire which I connect to the +ve side of the coil. I had a black wire that went to my resistor? Where do I connect it? Also, what do I do with the black ground wire that was connected to the dizzy, which I read you disconnect from the dizzy? The picture shows the three wires, with the ground wire that was connected to the dizzy in my fingers.
Image[/URL][/img]
111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 111jag »

Found my solution thanks to another user. The Black/White wire is the ignition wire which connects to the +ve side of the coil (which has a 3ohm resister built in). The wire in my hand is the ground wire which leads to the other black wire (which is the same wire) a ground wire. Simply tape these aside. Therefore I will have the red pertronix wire with the black/white wire to the +ve side of the coil, and the negative has the black pertronix wire. Hope this helps you.