Petronix install how to?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Dcyco1
Roadster Fanatic

Petronix install how to?

Post by Dcyco1 »

I have a 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster that I am attempting to install this on. I have Petronix kit 1741 kit and the Petronix blaster coil with the 3 ohm rating. Petronix kit and coil are installed. I believe I am having a problem with the wiring configuration. Car will not fire and I have blown the ignition fuse a couple of times.

Petronix plate is grounded with little wire in distributor and the positive and negative wires are connected to the appropriate coil locations. I have a black/white wire with a red clip. A black/white wire with a white clip on it and a plain black/white wire coming from ballast, not sure how this is used. I also have a solid black wire which I believe is the ground and a blue wire that is connected to a capacitor that I left disconnected.

I have also tried to start engine with motor set to top dead center on #1 cylinder with the distributor pointed to the #1 position with no luck. I have read previous posts and have the wiring diagram for car but I still do not get a clear picture on why this is not starting the car. Any suggestions or pictures showing the wiring would be appreciated.

Chris
1969 Datsun 2000
1996 WS6 Trans Am
2016 Maxima SR
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Petronix install how to?

Post by C.Costine »

I have installed three of them and never dealt with anywhere near that number of wires. perhaps you could add where each of these wires is coming from instead of just "I have".
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

Are you SURE you need the ballast resistor??
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

I have a '68 2000 and a '69 1600 (H20 actually). The '68 is wired without a ballast resistor. It uses the 3 ohm Blaster coil. The '69 is an older Pertronix installation and is wired with a ballast resistor with a lower ohm (older) "hot" coil.
If you let me know which setup you want to run, I can look at the appropriate car and tell you what wires I have connected where.
BTW, I see no difference in the two cars starting or running. The both start easily and neither coil gets hot. If I were to do install another, unless I wanted the resistor for authenticity, I would delete it as it elminates just a little clutter.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

In my instructions it says to Not use the ballast resostior ,
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

Take some pictures. Or if you like I can post some of mine this weekend.

I also removed the ballast resistor. Running a 3 ohm coil.
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

I purchased the pertronix coil after talking to tje rep it seemed like the best choice to make it run as good as possible , we have not started the motor yet so I can't tell how it works
Dcyco1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Dcyco1 »

I will get some pics. As far as where the wires are coming from it is from the factory coil wires and the ballast wires. I am not sure what to do with ballast wires as it is stated in Petronix instructions that I do not need it. Which is fine but what do I do with those wires and do they need to be joined together after bypassing ballast?? Wiring diagram shows two separate wires (positive and ballast wire) connected to coil positive end. Does this still apply if I bypass ballast?? Pics would be be appreciated! Thanks!!
1969 Datsun 2000
1996 WS6 Trans Am
2016 Maxima SR
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

I think the ON and Start are separate wires to and from the ign switch. You will need to energize the start and on to the + side of the coil.
Piggyback the ballast wire from the Ign switch to the + side of the coil, with the existing ign wire.
The short wire from the ballast to the + side of the coil can be removed.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
len62
Site Supporter

Post by len62 »

Check the instructions again.....I remember they indicated to tape off both resistor wires ( at the exposed ends ) then make a neat bundle of the two wires, and tape the bundle out of the way. We removed the resistor completely. I no longer have my car, so I can't send you a pic of the set- up, but we just followed the instructions and it fired up the first time
Len
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly..........
Angels like Rock Music.... Now you know......
Car sold.....here in Spirit and Friendship
Dcyco1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Dcyco1 »

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 Datsun 2000
1996 WS6 Trans Am
2016 Maxima SR
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

I took a picture for you, I'll post it later. About to head into a meeting.
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
Dcyco1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Dcyco1 »

Picture without rotor on. Thanks Andyroo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 Datsun 2000
1996 WS6 Trans Am
2016 Maxima SR
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

It should be pretty straightforward without the ballast resistor. It looks like you have a lot more going on than I do.

On the - side of the coil you should just have the 1 black pertronix wire to the distributor.

On the + side you have the red pertronix to the dizzy and the 2 wires from the ignition. One of which was going to the ballast resistor before, but now the resistor is eliminated with the 3 ohm coil.

Hope that helps. Check out the wiring diagrams on here, they are very helpful. Difficult to follow though if you don't trust the previous owner's work and some wires have been replaced with other colors (like on my car)!

EDIT: I forgot to take a pic of the ground wire on the dizzy. Can't remember off the top of my head where I put that.
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

The dizzie should be grounded from the block. I believe the ground for the pertronix comes from the breaker plate. I do not believe you need a separate ground outside of the little one for the breaker plate.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG