cam exchange

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Alan Duquette

R16 Cam and valve train

Post by Alan Duquette »

Hi Russell,
I'm not touching this one!
Sounds to me like you've had a lot more experience with your addition of 283 valve springs which sounds pretty custom. My exprience lays with a true-blue but brand new Datsun valve train. Also, I've seen hundreds of vintage production racers over the years trying to twist out more rpms from push-rod English tractor blocks which are very similiar to the Datsun forklift motor. I live 30 miles from Sears Point. Most of those guys are quite happy pulling over 6 grand with a push-rod motor. There's a lot of uncontrollable slop going on inside of them. A great benefit of the overhead cam engine as you know is the elimination of all those peripheral parts allowing for the capability of higher controlled rpms.
Does your F/P Car currently race? I know that SCCA has eliminated F/P out here. They group most small bore cars into G/P and E/P now. Are you looking to be the master of a genade motor? And hey, NASCAR push-rods pull near 9 grand, but nothing is bouncing on itself inside anymore.
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Alan,

Master of the Handgrenade Motor ..I like that one, hell thats not the half of it my motor has Chevrolet Corvair valves in it. I have learned so much about these litle cars in the past two years it's unbelievable, I am always surprised at how tough they are. I have had this thing past 240 on water temp before I got that under control( the key there is that I build them out of junk!) I didn't learn until recently that these little cars when you race them like to run around 220 degrees( shared with me by Malcolm Garrett of Malcolm Garrett Racing Engines) I wouldn't recommend that for a street motor.

I am looking at more realistically around 6800 rpms that will give me around a 108 mph top speed with the 4.38 gears I'm running Just right for the two tracks I run at the longest straight is about 1/2 mile.

I don't run scca I run with a vintage sanctioning body and our f production group is alive and well, it's funny though I am the only datsun roadster in the bunch.

A couple of the guys I run with run sprites the first race when I unloaded the car I heard one of them jokingly remark "oh great here comes the death of the british sports car again" It's all in good fun somedays I win and some days I don't. Give me your email address and I'll keep ya posted.

Russell
Alan Duquette

Alan Duquette email

Post by Alan Duquette »

Hi Russell,
I'd love to see and hear of some of your racing adventures! Please use email: aduquette@dynatex.com. Some pics would be great too.

BTW: At Thunder Hill Raceway Park in Willows CA. a few years ago this guy towed a E/P Orange Datsun 2000 Roadster from OHIO for a SCCA National event. He told me that it was one of the last fast-ones around. It was lots of fun to hear and watch. He was also set-up to run G/P IF HE WANTED TOO, with a motor change. He had a full race 1600 on a stand in the RV!

Years earlier I used to catch this Black 1600 G/P 311 in southern California at Willow Springs International Raceway in the Mojave desert (still my favorite track ever). It had a "Darth Vader" front end, and just screamed!!! It sounded like it was on the verge of blowing up with each gear shift. Both guys were living!

And, there was this other tall guy who was running a Triumph Spitfire GT-6 coupe in EP and...I can go on and on.