Petronix ignition?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

Petronix ignition?

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Anyone have experience with this? The "Crane" I have a buddy with this electronic ignition in his solex 2000 and it runs great for about 20 30 minuntes and then it turns off. Any ideas? Could it be carbs? It just cuts off and wont turn on after you let it cool off. Im going to go to his house on the weekend to see if I can help him out and would like to know what are somethings to look out for.

Thanks
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

You could try the swapping out the coil. Sometimes they can overheat and shut down like that.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Petronix ignition?
What is the crain?

My last setup used the pertronix device. The coil in these cars is supposed to have a resistor in series with the points to limit the current through the points so they will last longer. When the key is turned to start the resistor is bypassed in order to have a hotter spark. I removed the resistor with the pertronix setup. The coil would get so hot it was untouchable and the spark was hot enough to jump out of the center to one of the terminals. I carried spare points and a coil in case anything failed. It never did. So when this car gets to the point where it will not run, I would check for the presence of spark by removing the wire from the center of the distributor and place it close to a metal surface on the engine, crank said engine and look for spark.
I think the pertronix woukd always work or not. The coil may act up with heat. Perhaps power supplied to the ignition is not reliable, mabe a dirty ignition switch.

Oh yeah, after reading my post be sure you are not holding with your hand the wire near the metal. "DISCLAIMER!!!!!! Doh!