5-spd tranny rebuild

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

twpeverett
Roadster Nut

5-spd tranny rebuild

Post by twpeverett »

One of the winter projects is to get the 5-spd tranny gone through. anyone have any recommended shops in the Seattle/Portland area? This is a close ratio tranny that hasn't be touched in several years, starting to shift fairly hard with some metal flakes in the oil. Hence thought I had best get busy with it.

Tom
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: 5-spd tranny rebuild

Post by Gregs672000 »

I had a shop in puyallup do mine, Rahmann or Remann as I recall. As soon as I drove up to have him listen to the car (unannounced), he immediately new what the car was and what transmission(s) they had, as he was very familiar with the Roadster 5speed... That made me feel good right away, and my trans has been great since their rebuild. I do recommend the Swepco trans oil FOR SURE, as in my box it has significantly reduced internal heat such that the stick shift no longer gets hot.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
twpeverett
Roadster Nut

Post by twpeverett »

thanks Greg, I'll Google him and give him a shout. How long will he take? A couple of weeks sufficient?

After you came up out a few years ago to help sort the motor I went through it again and got it running pretty good. 154 hp to the wheels. Currently messing around with the jetting to get a richer burn at the top end.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

twpeverett wrote:thanks Greg, I'll Google him and give him a shout. How long will he take? A couple of weeks sufficient?

After you came up out a few years ago to help sort the motor I went through it again and got it running pretty good. 154 hp to the wheels. Currently messing around with the jetting to get a richer burn at the top end.
That's great! I was wondering what happened to that engine after the meltdown. What compression? Race gas? That was an R16 engine too wasn't it? Very nice!
It was a couple of weeks to get the trans done, but that was several years ago. Also, like I said, do strongly consider getting the Swepco oil, it is worth the $65 for a gallon, and you will have a future change as it only takes half to fill the trans. The heat change I mentioned was noted this summer when I swapped out the trans oil, and was not due to the trans being rebuilt... it was due to the oil change only. Clearly it impressed me.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA