Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

U20 Crankshaft damper

Post by spyder »

I have several dampers and it seems none of them have the timing marks in the same place. So here is the question; Does the damper affect the balance of the crankshaft as in if the outer ring has moved will it cause vibration?

Thanks in advance
Phil Romley
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

If the outer ring has moved, you can't time the engine. Also be prepaired for the outer ring to fly when you start it. Been there, done that. The good news is that you can get them rebuilt for about $50. Do a search for Damper Doctors, they should be able to help you.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Timing the engine is no biggie. I have an electromotive ignition and I can set the timing in the car while I am driving. Pinging or knocks I twist the control to retard the timing. I'm the "human" computer so that is not the issue. In the motors latest incarnation it has an odd vibration. You get the feeling "this thing is gonna blow" at high rpm. Not as smooth as my last motor but on that one they over cut the crank so I had oil pressure problems. Different crank and rods, pressure plate and damper so I guess any of them are causing the balance issue. I was just wondering if the damper had to be lined up to be "in sync" with the crank like a chevy big block or if a little slippage is ok?
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Yes, the inertia ring , the outer one, must not move out of reference. I had a friend, not a very smart one, ignore a funny vibration for a week. Broke a Chevy V8 crankshaft into 3 pieces in mid-donut. The outer ring of the damper and most of the crank shaft accessory belt pulley were never seen again. It was kind of funny, the starter cranked the rear 4 cylinders, but the cam wasn't moving.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit