cc'ing a U-20 head.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dneuman

cc'ing a U-20 head.

Post by dneuman »

Hello All,
I need to actively start to put my engine back toghether. I had the head re-done but I know its too thin. I want to cc my heads so I can figure out how thick of a head gasket I need to bring the compression down to about 8-1 and to restore the correct valve train geometry. Has anybody ever done this before and would you please give me some guidance.
I understand that you fill the combustion chamber up with a measured amount of light oil and that it helps to put a piece of flat glass over the head to know when you have really exactly filled the chamber.
So how do I do this exactly? I imagine I will have to fiugre out a way to mount the head to my workbench and to get/keep the head perfectly level. I am also going to need to turn the crankshaft to close all the valves. How do I do that when the head is off the engine and sitting on my workbench (without screwing everything up??).
Thanks,
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

found on net

Post by FergO2k »

Daniel,
http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/CCHeads.htm

I saw other references where they used cooking oil.

Only need to turn camshaft so that valves in each cyl are closed, then do each cyl individually.

Fergus O
dneuman

Re: found on net

Post by dneuman »

FergO2k wrote:Daniel,

I saw other references where they used cooking oil.

Only need to turn camshaft so that valves in each cyl are closed, then do each cyl individually.

Fergus O
Hey Fergus,
That comes back as a bad link???
FergO2k

funny

Post by FergO2k »

Hey Daniel, very strange.
I entered "cylinder head cc" into Google, and it was #4 on the listing.

try this one:
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articl ... 4&scccid=5
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

As far as CC'ing the combustion chambers, you are on the right path. Make sure both valves are COMPLETELY closed, put a light coat of grease around the chamber, seat a thin, flat piece of lexan with a small hole drilled in it to put fluid into the chamber and fill it with a colored liquid (water with food coloring works good) with a graduated syringe untill full. You can buy these as a complete professional setup, but unless you plan to use it often, it probably is not worth the cost. Fly cutting the head will not affect valvetrain geometry as these engines are overhead cam, not pushrod. It DOES affect valve timing and chain tension. The best way to find out how much your head has been cut is to measure the thickness from the head gasket surface to the valve cover sealing surface. I'm sure someone here has a spec for that or try your local machine shop. The "new" dimension minus your dimension would equal the additional thickness required to bring everything back to spec.(plus the thickness of the original head gasket). You can make a down and dirty set of head blocks by simply making a X out of a couple of 2 x 4's screwed together in the middle. Rest your cylinder head in the X and shift around untill level.
Hope this helps!

Mark
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Don't forget to properly figure compression you also have to add in the area from the top of the block to the top of the piston at TDC. With dome pistons this may be a negative. To seal the top of the piston you can pack the area around the top of the piston to the top ring with a bead of grease.
The swept area can be calculated with stroke x{(.5 x bore dia) squared}

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
FergO2k

swept area calc?

Post by FergO2k »

Um, don't mean to be a smart a$$, but shouldn't that formula be
pi*(0.5xdia)squared ?
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Shut your Pi hole

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Yes, stroke *{pi[(0.5xdia)squared]} So they were right, you do need to learn math!!

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

How much was taken off the head? To fix the cam towers, get the correct shims. The Bob Sharp manual says stock should be 44ccs. It also tells you how to do it.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!