Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

U20 Upper Timing chain Slack

Post by itsa68 »

While turning the engine at the crank in the opposite of running direction, the upper chain tensioner collapses and extends in pulses during the rotation.
At this time the chain on the opposite of the side of the tensioner (Evil-L side) tightens and slackens.

When the tensioner snaps out and is extended, the chain does not touch the Evil-L when depressed.
During the further rotation in the opposite running direction, the upper tensioner then becomes collaped by the chain tightening up, and excessive amount of slack is produced in the chain on the other side, which would definitely whack the hell out of the Evil-L.

A) Is the compression/de-compression of the tensioner and chain tightening/slackening a typical condition when rotating the engine in the opposite direction?

B) When the tensioner is extended (during opposite running direction), is that the time to check the chain on the Evil-L side?

C) What the heck is causing the chain to tighten and slacken when the engine is turned in the opposite direction? (stretched chain section, eccentric gear, other.......)

Gordon Glasgow's article doesn't mention this type of condition when the engine is rotated backwards to check the chain slack.

????????????????

Ray B.
(I now know why I've stayed with the R16)
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

A common practice is to put a spacer on the tensioner shaft to limit the chain rattle when the engine is started. This is a copmensation for chain wear or head shaving. In extreme cases of head shaving, you may need cam tower shims. If you remove the cam towers it is said they need to be aligned bored. Also, shims change the cam followers geometry and you may need taller lash pads.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic

Post by itsa68 »

Not being familiar with the U20, I'm trying to diagnose whether this engine is in good shape or not before using it.
Supposedly it was rebuilt a short time ago.

Thanks for the heads up on the corrective action side of things.

Ray B.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I think the loose slack thing is the engine compression as the piston passes TDC and pushes the piston down. Are you turning the crank or the cam? Probably would not happen with the plugs out.

As far as slack, I did the math and figured about there's about 20 -25 lbs pressure on the upper tensioner at full oil pressure. I had a spring from an old oilpump relief valve that I cut down to fit and replaced the stock spring in the upper tensioner. It gives me about 22 pounds pressure all the time, oil pressure or not. Death rattle is gone. I also added the oil filter tube at the same time, so it may not be the tensioner spring that solved it.

Has anyone ever played around with advancing or retarding the cam relative to the crank to either make up for slack or to alter the powerband? Common practice on American V8 was to advance the cam 5 degrees to lower the powerband a bit. Just curious.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spyder

Post by spyder »

Yup! The more you advance it the more low end torque you get. Keep in mind this is an interference engine!

In regards to the chain slaping, this is the valve spring tension against the cam. In other words, the cam rotation is not smooth and it will smack the chain around if it is loose.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic

Post by itsa68 »

The engine is being turned by hand at the crank in opposite direction when the slack occurs.
But it does tighten up to not have any slack and not touch the Evil-L, I think after each compression stroke.

I will have to re-visit the engine and give it another whirl to be sure.

Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Well, it just wouldn't be any fun if you didn't risk putting a skylight in the pistons. I have a piston from my X-1/9 with a 1 by 2 inch hole in it on top of my toolbox as a reminder.
Is there a procedure to get a specific advance/ retard. I'm assuming even with a slack chain, one tooth is too much either way.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
spyder

Post by spyder »

With an "A" cam you can move it a tooth up or down without piston contact. I did not try it I intentionally. Ran like crap! As I drifted twards the higher performance direction there is a smaller margin of advance/retard where you start contacting piston/valves, read hi lift long duration cam, pop up pistons and shaved head! This is when it gets spooky!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I can live without the extra 3 horsepower.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Every U20 that I have intentionially spun backward has had the same issue. Its like spinning a bike chain the wrong way, there is a slack side at all times, it moves depending on which way its being pulled. Putting a shim in the upper tensioner is easy, just pull it out, go find a delrin washer that will take up as much slack as needed and reassemble. When I built my current engine, I shimmed both tensioners just for good measure. The chain says tight at all times. You will know the death rattle when you hear it. I'd say go for it.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!