Petronix VS GB's Dizzy

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

excalibur
Roadster Fanatic

Petronix VS GB's Dizzy

Post by excalibur »

I read a lot about Gary Boone's Distributor, and it seems to get rave reviews. I personally put a petronix ignitor into my 1971 Ford F250 and have been very happy with the unit, no points to change, ever! :D

With the extreme cost difference (3X as much) and slightly more difficult install for GB's new distributor, will the everyday driver notice a real difference between Petronix Ignitor module and GB's Distributor, or is it best used as a modification for the serious performance enthusiast?

Anyone have an opinion/experience to share?
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

I have a GB dizzy and it's absolutely great.

no experiance with a petronix - but one advantage of the GB is you get to switch to a 12v coil from the stock 6v.
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

You don't have to be a performance enthusiast to appreciate faster & smoother starting/idling/running, and no points to replace/adjust.

Install it...adjust it...forget it. The sucker just works. 8)
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

As Redtail said, you can run hotter spark with the Boone dizzy. Pertronics just replaces the points and uses the stock coil.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
hport
Roadster Fanatic

Post by hport »

You can use a high output voltage low ohm 12v coil with the electronic conversion.

I run the GB Dizzy personally, due to worn bushings and plates commonly found with the old dizzy's, it's cost effective in the long run.

JC
68 2000 solex
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

Gary will send you a comparison between the two systems if you ask. He knows a lot about both systems. Some of the items that stand out for me is that the Gary Boone distributor is a Factory distributor which uses all Nissan parts. The pertronix have a reputation for burning out. I don't know if the reputation is factual but it is there none the less.

Here is an exerpt from his instructions:

With the diminishing availability of roadster parts, it’s desirable to have a later Nissan distributor for which parts will be available for many years ahead. It also has a larger diameter cap, which provides more space between the spark plug terminals. This is preferred over the roadster distributor because it is less likely to crossfire or arc between plug terminals. This is especially important when using a high-energy ignition system. This distributor conversion has an advantage over the popular Pertronix® Ignitor, which is a solid state ignition trigger that also eliminates points. The Ignitor, however, operates at a lower voltage with the ballast resistor and the original 6-volt coil.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
Daryl Smith
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

My first step in trying to "improve" my car was to put the Pertronix unit in (Gary's dist. wasn't available at the time). It made a noticeable difference and I was quite happy with it. However, my reasearch (fancy term for reading too much) led me to believe I needed a larger spark gap for optimum milage/power.
So, I went to a Jacobs unit triggered by the Pertronix with about a .055" gap. Again a noticeable improvement, and I was happy with that for several years. More "research" led me to the EDIS, but that is another topic. :D

I think the Pertronix unit is a good first step. There is now a Pertronix II which, I think, allows for a 12V coil, but I don't know if it is available for the roadster.

If I were to use a dizzy, I would go right to the newer electronic dizzy.
For the extra $100-$150 you get:

1. A solid dizzy with good bearings that will probably outlast your engine
2. A larger cap, which puts more distance between posts and lessens the chance of "crossfire"
3. A 12V coil and 0.043" spark gap to improve both power and milage
4. An excellent advance curve, set up for the roadtser (newer, better mechanisms for that curve?)
5. Parts availability for years to come.

Did I leave anything out?

my $0.02
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Seems to be a lot of buzz these days about ignition systems. I lurked to see where the general wisdom would lead. Here now is my two cents, I built a points amp, they lasted longer because there was no arcing or pitting degradation. Than I saw a pertronics system on ebay. Even better because there no point slop in the system. I suppose if you remain mostly stock and don't push your cars these systems are fine. Remember you have two chains and a gear drive between the crank and the distributor. This allows a good bit of timing slop. This is why I use a crank timed system. Very accurate timing = max HP. Overkill perhaps, but you can adjust/tweek your advance curves by twisting knobs.

It's not an inexpensive system but I found one on ebay for what I thought was a reasonable price and am throughly impressed with its performance.

Disclaimer..... Just my experience!

http://www.directignition.com/pdf_files/hpv1.pdf
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'd personially go with a Boone style, its a better way to go. I also know how to build one. the pertronix setup is a step in the right direction, but its not a full EI.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!