Lowering Rear w/o Upgrading?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Cherry Blossom

Lowering Rear w/o Upgrading?

Post by Cherry Blossom »

i searched by couldnt find much. is their a way for me to lower the rear w/o buying stiff competetion leaf springs?
i want to keep the stock comfort but im guessing i would have to trim the bump stops in order to keep the body from hitting.
ive heard someting about u-bolts that could lower the rear a little. any more info. on this?
thanks,
sean
TR

Post by TR »

The old school way is to buy bolts that are longer by the amount you want to lower the car. Get a steel or aluminum bar the thickness you want to lower the car and cut to fit between the springs and rear axle...Trim the bump stops and bolt up and you're off!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

You use lowering blocks. I was in Advance Auto Parts yesterday, and they had longer U bolts that I believe will work. They also had lowering blocks. For a blow up diagram, go to www.datsun.org and download the Bob Sharp Competition Manual.

I would suggest trimming the bump stops as well...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Three options come to mind.

1-Remove a leaf from the pack. This will drop the car depending on which leaf is removed. Spring rate will be softened slightly from stock.

2-Install a lowering block. The block kits on the market usually need to be thinned down somewhat to fit on the thinner import springs since the are made primarily for large american cars and trucks. Longer U-bolts can be easily and cheaply made by a spring shop. Watch driveshaft angle if dropping over 3". Spring rate stays the same but seems rougher to me for some reason.

3- De-arch springs. You will have to watch the shackles since you are basically making the springs longer but for a small drop it should not be a problem. Spring rate should be close to stock.

You can always use a combination of these 3 to get the look you are after. Hope this helps.

Mark
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Cherry Blossom

Post by Cherry Blossom »

thanks for the tips.
alvin, ill definately let you know about those lowering blocks.