Filtering Velocity Stacks

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

Filtering Velocity Stacks

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Anyone know any good ideas on putting a screen or socks on velocity stacks? Gonna put some stacks on SU's but the stacks dont have anything there... any ideas?
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Find a stock backing plate for a set of SUs and make one, or you might need to spend some $$.
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
TR

Post by TR »

Don't drive in the dust...TR
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I have the stock air cleaner assembly, but I really like the look of the velocity stacks.
TR

Post by TR »

Aftermarket mods back in the day included a little mesh grill about the right size to keep only the largest of insects out. If you are not worried about the extra wear caused by small debris (for example, you only drive on nice clean roads - where's that?), you don't need anything. If your roads are like mine, the stock air filter will make your engine last a lot longer...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

TR,
You have a point, the filter will make your engine last much longer. I you have velocity stacks in the stock filter backing plate, you won't gain anything but a set of worn out piston rings by running without it. I run Velocity stacks under my airfilter.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I was thinking maybe some Small k&n filters might work or some UNI ones.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

The most common thing to do is to buy some sock filters. They are foam and fit over the velocity stacks - which pretty much kills the look of stacks. The best suggestion is to buy some nice polished stacks and put them in the armrest with a wrench. When you get to the show, put them on and put the aircleaner in the trunk. Before you leave, put the aircleaner back on the car and drive home.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

If you get creative, you can buy bulk filter foam (like uni) from most motorcycle shops and a stroll down to the hardware store should net some sort of screening that will work to cover the openings of the stacks. You might even come up with something you can mount flush with the edge. Just make sure they are mounted securely, it would "suck" to have them ingested or worse, have them stick the throttle open :shock:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
CBreault
Roadster Fanatic

Post by CBreault »

You can also truy Pierce Manifolds. They have a rubber ringed filter that fits on to the stack that has a filter in between 2 wire mesh screens. Slick set up and it looks awsome.
So Long And Thanks For All The Fish
66 411
69 2000

http://www.drone-club.net
http://www.cafeshops.com/datsunne