Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Body mounts/pads?

Post by Daryl Smith »

Checked out the link here and it leaves me with a couple of questions.

Are there 2 thicknesses of bolt through mounting pads for the roadster? (I have all 1/4" at the moment.)
A set of 6 and a set of 8 are mentioned.

6 large bolts: I have 4, 2 at the very front, and two at the very back? 1/4" or 3/8" mounting pads?

8 smaller bolts: 6 in the passenger compartment, and 2 in the engine bay. 1/4" mounting pads?

That leaves (for me) the two at the rear wheel well, which on my car are smaller, but may not be original. are these supposed to be the 2 larger ones I'm missing above? I had fun getting 1/4" pads in there....BIG prybar.

My brother found some 1/4" pads, at a domestic rod/restoration place. They are a fairly solid rubber (no cloth) and are for early Chevy truck bed mounts ('50-'55?). The same shape as, and only slightly smaller than the clips we use. When I find the tag I'll post it. Cost $11.50 Canadian for 8 pcs.

Also, the closed cell foam for the "body pads". What thickness are you using? I picked up some 3/8" and it is not even touching under the passenger compartment.

(Oh, yeah, the link shows two pieces at 12" and 24" with a space between on the very back rail. I measure 31" between the "mounting pads", so this should be changed. 6 and 24 would work. 1" to get the gas tank wiring through?)

Cheers
Daryl Smith

Body mounts/pads?

Post by Daryl Smith »

The body mount pads are listed for '47-'53 & '55-'72 Chevy 1/2 ton truck beds. 1/4" thick.

Manufactured by Counterpart Automotive. Part # 47-65005-B

Let me know if you would like a picture.[/img]
Datsun 440
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsun 440 »

Daryl ,I just mounted the body back on my 67.5 a few months ago .I used 1/8 " rubber pading. Cut in about 1 1/2" squares with a 1/2"hole cut in the center.At some bolt locations I had to us two layers and some three layers thick. The original pads were all differant from factory.Arnold
Daryl Smith

Body mounts/pads?

Post by Daryl Smith »

Arnold,

I got a few replies from the email list that said when they took the cars apart, they had different thicknesses of the mounting pads.

On my car, the original body frame was scrap, so I never paid any attention to it when I took it apart (over 20 yrs ago).

I also didn't pay too much attention when putting this car together about twelve-15 yrs ago, although I had lots of help and it was done fairly quickly which doesn't allow for detail work.

So.... I find when I put it together now, that all the bolt through 1/4" pads sit fairly tight between the body and frame except in the engine bay, Where I have increased to between 3/8-7/16.

I'm guessing It could be slightly different for different cars to get all the doors etc to line up properly by flexing the body somewhat??? (an unexpert opinion)

Also for the Horsehair replacement, As stated above I picked up some 3/8" closed cell foam which didn't contact under the driver and passenger.
I cut it in half (two 6" pieces) and doubled it up towards the front of where it shows in the diagram to mount it. That area is wedge shaped, and to get it under compression for the whole 12" length on my car would have required about 1" thick pad.
The next pads back, where the frame bends to go up over the axles, only contact on about 4-6" of the pads so I removed the excess to prevent any area for dirt build-up.

Your experience may be different, it may be a situation where each car is slightly different and there is no "bolt in" here are the parts, "go for it". Check and measure before and after and make minor adjustments.

That said, it isn't hard, just requires a little patience.

My $0.02