Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Leaf Springs Re-Arch/De-Arch

Post by Conner »

The original leaf springs are off my car. I'm trying to decide if I should have them re-arched or de-arched (to lower the rear end) or do nothing at all. I've ruled out buying new ones because they are pretty expensive and mine are in good shape. I don't want comp springs because everybody says they are too rough.
Anyway, I put the springs on the garage floor so the eyelets rest downward and measured up from the floor to the underside of the spring where the center bolts are located. The distance, which you can sort-of see from my picture, was a bit more than 3 1/4". The right and left springs are identical, which is good news.

If anyone has their leaf springs off their car I'd appreciate it if you could take a similar measurement and post here what it is. Also please let me know if your car has early or late stock or competition leaf springs, and whether they are new or used springs. I'm trying to get a baseline for stock spring height and for an inch or so of drop in the back. My car is a 68.
Thanks very much.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
TR

Post by TR »

Due to a lack of patience and because at the time I had more money than time (funny, now I have neither!), I purchased the springs from Fairlady Products. They are essentially the old springs with an extra leaf added. They made my car handle way, way better and more predictable. I did not notice any change in harshness like I did with the front springs change.

Sorry, I do not have any springs to measure to compare to...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
TR

Post by TR »

I think that is what I bought from Dean, he called it an "add a leaf"...Works great, I am sure any shop can do it for a fraction of the price, though...
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I'm using Comp springs don't know if they are new or old style and Konis front and rear with 14" 70 series tires right now. Not as bone jarring as I would have thought. I would keep the lid on the coffee cup. I think 50 or 60 series tires might make it a bit more harsh, especially if the tire pressure is on the high side. I'd like it to sit a bit higher in the rear for asthetics, but not worth the trouble. I don't know how the roads are by you, but I'm at about the minimum height for speed bumps and driveways around here.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
garth
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by garth »

The arch on both springs of my 68 2000 are 3.34 and 3.36 inches. I have no reason to beleive they are not original. Both had a measured spring rate of approximately 150lb/in.

I'm interested in where this topic goes since I have not decided on what to do with either front or rear suspension on the roadster that I'm restoring. I'm inclined to just replace the bushings and reuse the springs as is.
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Alvin--
Those pictures are helpful. It looks to me like the comp springs have nearly no arch at all.

Garth--
Those measurements are very similar to what I got. Mine were closer to 3 5/16", which is pretty close. As for the front suspension, I have decided on new comp coil springs from Mike Young (http://www.datsunsports.com/). I just received them Friday. I have heard a lot of good things about them; enough to convince me to move to those springs and replace my stock front springs.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Comp springs are indeed flat. I have Comps in the rear and Mike Youngs front springs with Konis all around. Its a little on the harsh side sometimes, but I've done a few all day stints in the car. It handles really well however. I also run 60 series tires.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Hi all

I installed Mike Young spring in my 69 roadster but doesnt seem to lower the car, it is still have two to three inches gaps for tire to fender. is there something I did wrong or have missed?

Ben
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

I want to close the gap between tire and fender, make it lower or at lease level the car. I currently using 14'' rim and 70 series tires. any suggestion what I should do?

Ben
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

You could use tire diameter to fill the fenders, but you need some clearance. I have maybe 1 1/2" in the front from top of tire to fender. When you get close, the fender lip needs to be rolled if it hasn't been done already.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I think you have something wrong. I have one of the first sets, with 60 series tires and there isn't much space between the tire and the fender. You might need to let the springs settle a little bit. One of these days I will post a newer pic of my car.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
JohnnyRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JohnnyRoadster »

I took some photos of my new rear leaf springs to give you an idea of what
they should be? I posted them on the last page of the photo album. Hope
this is helpful.

http://community.webshots.com/album/82387147CblUDc/2

John
SPL311-13956
silver to cranberry to metallic brown to flat brown back to silver in 41 years!
http://united2311ster.googlepages.com"

John
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED