1.6 slow

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 roadster

1.6 slow

Post by 67 roadster »

hey guys, i own a 1967.5 1600. Is there anything I can do to this little motor to give it a little more power? I haven't really driven it yet, but something tells me that I'm not going to be blown away by its power. I didn't buy the car because for racing or anything, but I know I would like to have a little something behind my roadster. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks -Michigan 67
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

There are a few choices, you could stroke the R16, or drop a U20 and a 5spd in and you would be set. People will say drop something modern in, but that generially requires cutting the frame. A U20 will scoot right along, and be correct for a roadster. In effect you would have a 67.5 2000 clone, nothing wrong with that.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
67 roadster

Post by 67 roadster »

Well for right now I kind of wanna stear clear of any motor pulling. I was just wondering if porting and polishing of the head, or some kind of a bolt on, or exhaust? And gears in the rear, I don't really know anything about the motors in these cars. Thanks for the quick respone -Michigan 67
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

67 roadster, if you haven't driven it, why are you assuming it is a slug?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Yeah, I'd say get it on the road first, then decide. A 2" exhaust will give you some power and sound better (better to me, anyway). I'm not sure whether the 1600 stock exhaust manifold can be improved upon with an aftermarket header or stock manifold from a 2-liter (is that a direct swap?), but that may be another option. An EI dizzy may give you some power. Tuning the carbs should help as well.
Get it on the road, then if you like to can do these kinds of mods. While the actual horsepower is not huge by modern standards, you are going to have the windows down, top off, and be sitting basically eight inches off the road in a very light car, so the experience of speed will be much more intense giving the impression of power.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
TR

Post by TR »

Yes, a well tuned and healthy 1600 is a lot of fun to drive. Just make sure the fan clutch works, or replace it with a four blade or an electric. The stock gearing suits the car well, a 5 speed is nice for the overdrive.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I would say don't change a thing until you drive it. Who knows, might be just right, or so wrong, for you, that an SR20DET with nitrous is the only solution. Ballpark math, 115 or so horsepower in a 2000 pound car puts your power to weight ratio somewhere the same or better than a late 70's early 80's stock Camaro/Firebird/Mustang with much better handling in the Roadster.

I haven't gotten my 2000 fully sorted out yet, but I recall my 1600 5 speed(many years ago) was more fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, the 2000 is a powerful motor and suprisingly fast, but the 1600 seemed to have a better powerband for around town and fun backroad driving. This is recollection from many years ago, but back then I was also driving a 340 4 speed Doge Dart and the 1600 Datsun with 100,000 miles didn't feel like a slug. It's all personal taste.

All things being equal, which they never are, I'd rather get my 300 horsepower from a large engine at a lower state of performance than a small engine that's highly worked over. Others are the opposite.
Best comparison I can think of is a small 2 stroke motorcycle will beat a 4 stroke 2 or 3 times it's displacement anyday head to head and on the dyno, but the 4 stroke is, to me, more fun to ride.

Just my 2 cents

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
67 roadster

Post by 67 roadster »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick respones and all the oppinions you guys have given me. I'm still young yet and stuck around the numbers and hp ratings of today. I really appreciate it, thanks. Michigan-67
twinight
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twinight »

K&N Air filters w/ stub stacks made a very noticeable difference on my 1600. You'll have to replace the needles with something richer which takes some experimenting. An electronic ignition like Gary Boone's dizzy will make the power delivery more consistent as well.
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

You will not win any drag races. BUT, a good running 1600 will pull you through a sharp mountain-shear-cliff corner as fast a as your b-lls will allow, or faster than the laws of physics (and tire design) will allow you to survive.

Since that is the purpose it was made for, how fast do you want it to be?