Soft Top Latch Adjustment?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Soft Top Latch Adjustment?

Post by Dave »

Hi gang,

My soft top latches are out of adjustment and I'm not sure what to do. When I put the top up, I have to latch the center latch first. That brings the end latches in close enough to catch. Otherwise, the end ones are too far away from the windshield to latch. Once the center one is latched, I latch the end ones, at which point the center one becomes too loose and pops off. The center latch is adjusted as far as it can go via unscrewing and sliding it.

While I have not measured it yet, my conclusion is that the part of the soft top that mates with the windshield is bent. Is this a common thing? Is there a fix?

Ordinarily I never drive with the top up so it's no big deal. However, last weekend, I was on the way back from a chilly 40 mile trip to the sea coast when I hit a pothole that shook the car so bad, it caused the latch on the right side to pop off, leaving me at 80 Mph with only one latch holding the roof on (welcome to New England, land of potholes)!!!! :shock: I pulled over fast and dropped the top for the rest of the ride home. Needless to say, I'm a bit worried about using the top again....
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

soft top adjust - Velcro method

Post by FergO2k »

Dave, blown loose? been there, had that happen.
My front bvow was bent when I bought the car, Les at CDM has reconditioned ones for ~150(or was that price couple years ago)
I took someone's advice and put velcro strips bolted under the latches, so that when you close them you velcro them shut, keeps them from rattling in the up and down position.
happy roadstering, Fergus O
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

Fergus, that's an excellent idea!!!! Any chance you could snap a couple pictures of your velco safty straps for me?
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904