Front brakes

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Front brakes

Post by nismou20 »

Hi,

From all the reading I've done on stock front brakes, it has been said that the min thickness for rotors are 9.4mm. If all else checks out ok calipers, firewall brace, MC's and the rear wheel cylinders that the likely reason for poor brakes can be that the calipers are at their max travel and that they are not putting any more pressure on the pads. My pads have a lot of meat left on them as they are close to new. Has anyone tried to shim the pads ? that is add a 1/8in stock between the pads and piston to see if that would increase the pad travel? There is a retainer clip that is held in place by a 10mm bolt and nut to keep the pads in place. It seems to me that this might work. Any one have any experience? Any feasability studies?

Thanks, Tom Prather
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

So I'm driving along and this car gets harder to stop and is now pulling hard to one side under moderate braking. Turns out one side of the front brakes will wear more than the other and the caliper is designed so the piston will not pop out of the caliper so you lose braking on one side and it happens quick. Pads are inexpensive but clean out the cylinders, they collect moisture and will pit and leak.