Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Spindle Wear

Post by Conner »

Here is a picture of the threads on one of the bolts that attaches the upper spindle to the upper A-arms on my car.

Are the threads meant to be this shallow or is this evidence of extreme wear? The threads on the inside of the arm pieces are similarly shallow, but the threads inside this bolt (wear the grease goes) and the threads on the ends of the spindles are in very good shape. Is this something to worry about and if so what are my options?

Thanks.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
68datroad

Post by 68datroad »

Hey Andy,I had my front end completely apart and installed new dust boots.Mine looked the same and when I reassembled they tightened down just fine in the arm.I would say as long as the inside threads and spindle are tight not to worry.Just my 2 cents worth.
Chris Coker
Roadster Nut

Post by Chris Coker »

The threats on the outside diameter of the spindle bushings are a special "interference fit" type thread. You won't have to worry about wear on the outside, since no relative sliding takes place here.

All of the wear takes place on the inside of the bushing, and the outside of the spindle shaft itself.

Best regards,
Chris Coker
1969 SPL311-24529
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Thanks, both of you. That makes me feel better about how those threads look. The inner threads are very nice, so I guess I'm good to go with these spindles.
Overall these parts were *very* greasy so that is a good indication that they were well-maintained. I've been finding that this car was, in general, very well looked-after and in good shape. Much better than the alternative.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Andy Ross

Post by Andy Ross »

Hi,
That definately is normal on that bush. I had 2 of mine wear out on one side and replaced them with new ones. The new origonal bushes are exactly as yours is in the picture.
Regards Andy.
esmeby

Post by esmeby »

This is what the inner portion looks like when it is bad.

http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=157
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

That's a good picture. Mine (on the inside) aren't worn like that at all. I guess I'm good to go.
Thanks.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633