Roadster parking.....

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I have no top, I have a battery disconnect with removable handle/key in the glovebox and the fuel pump is wired to the S-Brake switch. I've actually left the key in a few times, so used to having it dead in the garage and not actually out in public!!!

If I can get a tonneau to go around the roll bar, will prob go with that.
Had one on a MGTD (replica). Parked it everywhere, left it at work for 10 hours, never touched, and I work within 300 feet of a methadone clinic and 5 miles from Newark New Jersey, the undisputed car theft capitol of the world!

Anyway, that's what zero deductable insurance is for.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
twinight
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twinight »

I leave nothing visible in the car. I also use an autolock and a club as a visual deterrent, since the only thing worth stealing is the car.
TurboRagtop
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by TurboRagtop »

I always park mine with the top off, sometimes use a tonneau cover, mostly not. In 25 years of ownership I've had three bad experiences:
2 stolen radios (but one of those was in Mexico, so prolly doesn't count), one where a *less than mature* person flipped a lit cigarette on the passenger seat. Still has the burn mark, need new interior anyway.
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio
st3ph3nm

Post by st3ph3nm »

When I first got my roadster, I lived in an inner city suburb with no choice but to park on the street - in an area renowned for drug addicts, street walkers etc. etc. My insurance company insisted that an immobiliser be fitted (on an aside - if you do get an alarm or immobiliser fitted, be sure that the idiots installing it don't start drilling holes in hard to replace parts - like the steering column surround!). Car won't start without the little transponder being near the key barrel. So I left it unlocked (like the others here - better an open car than a slashed roof). About once or twice a week I'd find the centre console open and the glovebox too. No big deal, I kept nothing valuable in it. About two weeks after buying it, I did have someone melt a hole in one of the plastic windows. I guess I was lucky the whole car didn't go up in flames. Never minded much - I was already planning on replacing the soft top anyway. Since then, though, have moved to nicer areas. Just recently someone went into the centre console - again parked off the street in my flat's carpark while I was at work. Never had any trouble when out at resteraunts or concerts, though.