Car on Ebay right now

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

policywonk57

Car on Ebay right now

Post by policywonk57 »

Hello
I'm new but would welcome some advice. I used to own a maroon roadster, 1600, and it was probably a 67.5 based on inside features -- partly metal (grey?) dash, outside door handles had a lock, etc. -- and I owned it from 75 to 79 -- through college. Got too expensive on a students budget as I replaced the heads at least a couple of times.

Anyway -- I've been looking to find another and saw one on e-bay -- 1968, 2000, looks gorgeous. Located in Texas (I am in norther cal) and priced at $10,000. Seems reasonable if as good as it looks and they claim re engine, etc.

Questions -- Ease of repairs in the Sacramento area -- i.e., good mechanics, etc., and reasonable price? Any help would be appreciated. Deborah
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

I saw that car as well. It seems to be very nice; a full and complete restoration. Personally I'm not sure if that car will get a bid for $10k. It is possible that it will, but I'll be surprised if it does. Others may chime in on that point.

If you want a fully restored car that one may be worth the price. You could easily spend that much (or a lot more) and a lot of your own time restoring an unrestored car.

If you are in this to have a finished car, definitely buy a car like the one in Fort Worth. You are lucky being in California, where the roadsters are comparatively plentiful. If you have that kind of budget I'd actually suggest you try to find a CA car that has been restored because you can get to know the seller and drive and inspect the car before buying.

If you are in this for a project, you may want to find a suitable prospect and do the restoration yourself. For me that is part of the appeal of this kind of car; it begins as a project and ends up as a finished car. But I'll be the first to tell you that you will commit a lot of time, attention, energy, and money to the project over a long period of time.

Buying someone else's restoration could be considered a value in this context, as they will not typically fetch what the restorer spent on the restoration in the open market.

If you decide on a restored car and want to find one in CA, I suggest you contact Mike Young (http://www.datsunsports.com/index.htm) in the Bay area. He restores these cars to a very high standard and may have something you'd be interested in.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
ambradley
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by ambradley »

I'm in Sacramento and would be glad to help you work on your car. :-)

Here are my thoughts on that car:

1. It's pricey but if truly restored it may be a good price
2. There are some odd things such as the side markers and hubcaps. The latter are easily changed but the former would require metal and paintwork to put back to stock.
3. The interior is nice but the color choice is odd. I would have preferred black, grey, or all tan instead of the tan/brown combination. They didn't ask me though. :-)
4. It has what look like speaker holes in the trunk but no speakers.
5. The steering wheel is not "restored"
6. The leather shift boot is missing
7. It looks like it has a dash cover rather than reupholstered (not truly restored)
8. The "finished" pictures are from 2004 and 2002 (!) and may not accurately reflect the car's current condition.
policywonk57

ebay roadster

Post by policywonk57 »

Thanks for all the replys. I did in fact get a hold of Mike Young -- quite helpful and lots of time on the phone. His Fair Lady's are incredible but at least double in price -- and his prices are completely reasonable.

I may wait and see how bidding goes on e-bay and give myself a bit of time to swing by and meet Mike and look at his "ladies"...

I am not inclined (not trained or patient enough!) to go the restoration route and advice is well-taken re trade-off of "restored" v. "willing to restore over time".

This site is a great resource and all your advice well-taken. I may call upon "Fair Oaks" to advise re local mechanics, sources for maintenance, etc.

Got to go and check the ebay site!

Thanks,
Deborah
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

Somebody sniped it in the last 5 seconds!!!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Just my 2 cents. If a car is perfect, not really "restored", a price of 10 to 15K is not unjustified. To find a car with no rust, then add new paint to the tune of 3K, a rebuilt engine and new interior etc., just the cost of the work plus your time? Then finding competent people to do the work is a job in itself. I've seen fairlady buyers picking up a bargain, for say 2 grand, then spend over 8K, plus months of finding parts and people to do the work(hopefully competent). Just think, for the same 12 grand, you could by a one year old Hyundai! Now that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!
Conner
Roadsteraholic

Post by Conner »

I took a look at that 1600 on the CDM page. It looks REALLY nice.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
Stacebug

Post by Stacebug »

Any opinions on the black CDM 1600? Do you think it is priced right? Has anyone seen it in person? It looks awesome!