Col Joe current information

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67Racer
Roadster Newby

Col Joe current information

Post by 67Racer »

Guys This e-mail was sent to a friend of mine who is a friend of Col. Joe Hauser and I thought I would share his sons e-mail about his fathers condition. Sounds like a fighter and I am hoping that he makes a full recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with him and family.
Les

Bill,

My Dad asked me to let you know that he is in the hospital. Here's the story on his condition. He had a mild case of congestive heart failure in June, and then came down with a severe infection in his right foot in July, that caused him to go to the Emergency room - they thought he would lose part of his foot when he got to the hospital, but they were able to save it. However, his heart deteriorated while he was being treated for the infection and so he was in the hospital for 4 weeks, during which time his muscles atrophied to the point that he was bedridden. He is now in the Crofton Care and Rehabilitation Center and is still bedridden, but is undergoing Physical Therapy. A couple of weeks ago, it didn't look good for his recovery (he was getting a lot of fluid in his lungs, etc.) but they finally got the fluid buildup under control, and he looks much better. At the present time he cannot stand or sit up, but he can feed himself and is doing PT everyday to try to regain his strength. He has now been in the hospital for 7 weeks and it will be several more (at best) before he can get out.

He has his cell phone and takes calls. If you would like to talk with him: 410-353-2386

Sorry for the bad news,
Joe Jr.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Col Joe current information

Post by Gregs672000 »

My prayers for a full recovery! I work in healthcare and have seen many a patient walk the edge before with multiple infections and setbacks, then come roaring back with proper nursing care in a good facility.

Col Joe may have spun in turn 9, but here's to hoping he gets it pointed in the right direction and back on the throttle quickly!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Mike Unger »

Sure hope Joe is feeling better soon.
Mike Unger
gpdatsun
Roadster Fanatic

Post by gpdatsun »

Thanks for posting this...I've been wondering how Joe was doing and what he's been up to. No good, it seems at present, but glad to know he's getting better!

After I bought Joe's car in 1999, he and Lois were like second grandparents to me. They both came out to Mid-Ohio and watched as I ran my first Runoffs in 2001 and celebrate my 8th place finish in the paddock after starting dead last (problems qualifying). Following Lois's passing, I got to celebrate with Joe on the podium (3rd), again at Ohio in 2004. He even swigged the champagne (wish I had a picture).

Over the years we've kept in touch, the occasional e-mail and he would follow my posts.

I think I'll get a card together and have folks sign it for Joe at the Runoffs this year. He's quite a guy and has many fans and friends in SCCA who see the car and ask about him.

Bill
Bill Wessel
68 1600
FP/GP 1600
garage-full of roadster stuff