HELP! black 1600 is running rich

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Sean

Post by Sean »

it is a 66 1600, the car starts, but smokes from the rear. I had to change spark plugs every 20 mins because they got so black. i do not know it is carbs or the engine. please help me!!!
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Sean
Have you worked on the carbs ,valve train, ignition or engine recently?
A little background history may help to diagnose what may be happening or may have gone wrong.
Occasionally something is inadvertently done during a recent service.

Is the tailpipe smoke a sooty black or greyish ?

If the tailpipe smoke is black, check to make sure your chokes are not stuck open or your air filter is not filthy.

Ray B.
Sean

Post by Sean »

thanks for the info. I recently had some carb cleaner added to the fuel, after that, the car started to acting. I have got all the fuel out refilled with full tank load frash gas. but still it is not running right, then I tried to turn up and down the round scrows at the bottom of the carbs to adjust the carbs. I do beleive that the problem is in the carbs. Please help me out! Thanks Sean
RoadsterYosh1

Post by RoadsterYosh1 »

Theirs volumes of info on tuning SU carbs on the net, good reading when you are bored :) .

To get you started, you need to reset your mixture again. This is assuming everything else, timing, valve adjustiment, etc is ok..

This is how I'd adjust:
Turn the mixture screws (those screws you messed with that are on the bottom of the carbs) all the way in. Then turn both carbs out 3 ½ turns. Warm up the engine. On the left side (looking from the fender) of the mixture adjustment screw is a little lever (looks like a nail with a spring attached) push up on that and listen to the engine, do that for each carb. If you cant find the levers, just stick your finger in the barrel of the carb and raised the piston, samething.
It will run rough, like its running on 2 cylinders (which it is). If idles up then back down, its lean, if the idle goes down immediately and the engine sputters and dies, too rich.
Make small (1/4 - 1/8 turns) adjustments to the mixture screw. Turning left (down) is rich, turning right (up) is lean.
After it seems like its running ok, take it for a spin, them check the plugs (all of them) for lean/rich condition. Repeat as necessary. Your mileage may differ.
Hope this helps
Yosh
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

If the problem started after adding fuel cleaner, sounds like dirt/rust may have gotten into the needle valve or elsewhere where it shouldn't be. Happened to me right after cleaning the gas tank. Rust got past the fuel filter and stuck the needle valve open
Stupid questions ahead...please don't take offense.

Do you have a fuel filter? If so, is it now loaded up with stuff? You can replace it with one of the clear ones or add a clear one in front of it and see if a lot of junk is coming through.

Is there fuel coming out the overflowhoses, if so, stuck needle valve (and fire hazard while working).

Do the pistons drop all the way down with a nice clunk if you lift them up all the way and release?

All these would cause a rich condition

Are the chokes fully open, nozzles all the way up into the carb where the mixture screws are?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit