General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Houston, we have liftoff!

Post by ppeters914 »

Well, for the first time since last November, SPL311-00799 got underway. wooHOO! :D

Up late cleaning the fuse panel (thanks, Pat), which got most everything working again. Unfortunately, the only way to get headlights was to run a jumper wire. Anyone else find the wiring diagrams to be a little "off"? Also, even though the instrument voltage regulator is disconnected, the water temp and gas guages still peg out. Not a total surprise considering the funky wiring mess I found under the dash. Guess what my winter project is?! :roll:

Then, late to work as I tried to get the radiator cap to seal. The mating surface is nicked and gouged, which explains why the PO had cut an extra gasket to fit under the correct gasket. Still had to play w/ it for almost an hour before it would stop blowing water onto my nice, new, shiny Optima battery, GM alternator, etc. :x

The other fun and thrilling discovery is the almost total lack of brakes. However, I -REALLY- wanted to bring the car to the NWDE meeting tonight, so drove super careful and kept my distance - and pumped like crazy. eeeeeeeeeeek! :shock:

Fixing the brakes just became Job #1.

Y'all be careful out thar, ya heah? 8)
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Wow allright man! the hard work finally pays off huh?

keep at er, and before you know it she'll be cherry!
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Pete, this is ground control, glad to hear you're on the road, don't forget you can always e-brake into a sliding stop. Looks cool but not as fun as it sounds. Keep us updated on the progress. Bill
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Ummmm, guess I forgot to mention there's obviously a connection missing between the emergency brake handle that's flopping around in the cockpit and the rear brakes. :?

Plan is to purchase a Motive Power bleed kit (which I needed anyway for the other vehicles, especially the 914), and see what bleeding does. While waiting for the bleeder to arrive, gonna pull the wheels to see if there's any evidence of leaking. Game plan from there depends on what I find and what bleeding accomplishes.

Are we having fuN yet? 8)
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Pete, the bleeder kit is low quality, I am returning mine , works, once you get a seal on the reservior, but that's not easyand spits fluid everywhere, especially toward paint.

Congrats on liftoff, I'm on about mile 25, still with screwed up brakes.
By the way, old brake caliper seals can be trimmed into excellent radiator cap gaskets, although I personally like the rubber fish pond liner I used on mine.

Roll back the dust seals on the front calipers, mine were full of rust.

Good luck

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Yes, the Motive is messy. But it works. I've tried the Mighty-Vac with not-so-good results.

Is there a better one-man bleeder? Seems like there is never anyone around when I need to bleed the brakes.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

I've been pretty happy with Speed Bleeders. Just keep an eye in the resevoir, which would be the same a if you had a friend around.

Is there some issue that I'm not thinking of? I'd have a hard time believing that it you draw air back in, against the spring and bearing.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Speed bleeds work too, as long as you don't loosen them too much. Biggest problem with the Motiv is cheap fittings on the hosesto the adapter. Functionally once it's hooked up, it is great.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit