2013 June Sprints

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

gpdatsun
Roadster Fanatic

2013 June Sprints

Post by gpdatsun »

Sorry race fans, very frustrating weekend and not much to report.

I worked the week before to replace the engine that I'd used at Brainerd with the engine that had lost the head gasket at last years Runoffs. I wanted to find out the issue in this engine. What I found was that the pistons were just kissing the head on the exhaust side of the spark plug on three of four cylinders, so I "massaged" the head and the piston wedge abit and used a thicker head gasket. But the engine in qualifying had no power and ultimately started "popping" out the #2 solex intake.

Took it home and replaced the engine again with the one I'd just removed, with freshened valve springs (down ~10% tension from new) on Saturday. Brought it back for the race on Sunday, starting 30th because of the poor qualifying (found a broken pushrod, #2 exhaust), and promptly broke an axle one the first lap! (that sucked). Due to attrition in the race, had I finished it might have been a podium!

Next up is Blackhawk at the end of the month.
Last edited by gpdatsun on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wessel
68 1600
FP/GP 1600
garage-full of roadster stuff
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: 2012 June Sprints

Post by notoptoy »

Bummer on the problems - good luck going forward!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: 2013 June Sprints

Post by SLOroadster »

Wow, talk about bad luck. Sorry to hear about all that. Who knows, perhaps you are getting your bad luck out of the way early in the season and the runoffs will be smooth sailing.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!